[Dissent-announce] G20 planning

coyote coyote at riseup.net
Thu Jan 22 18:36:16 GMT 2009

[please forward where appropriate]

There will be a meeting at The Foundry, 86 Great Eastern St, EC2,
3 p.m. On Sat Jan 24 (continuing on Sunday) to discuss the upcoming G20
leaders meeting on April 2nd in London.  The agenda is below.

Also, one of the proposed actions for the Camp for Climate Action is also
directed against the G20 -- the meeting to decide whether that action is
viable will be in Oxford on January 31
http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/node/471 with the proposals here:
http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/themes/ccamptheme/files/oxprops09.pdf

--------------

Agenda

1ST SESSION

1. Intro
for new people/Update what has already been. (hand signals,
brief explanation of consenus decision making) choose some facilitators,
notetakers (discussion about what notes should include).

2.  Round of introductions, who we all are

3.  Review proposed agenda.  Change or add to agenda.  set time limits.

4.  One or two people to do brief remarks (less than 5 minutes) on
G20/economic crisis

5.  Report back on organizing already happening.  What we know about the
where, when, who of the London G20 meetings

6. Discussion
on purpose (if necessary break into small groups and then report back)

what do we want to accomplish?  do we need common principles guidelines
agreements to work together (like the Hallmarks used by Dissent network or
UK Climate Camp)?

what are the biggest obstacles?  what are the targets?  how will this
mobilization have built the movement after the April 2nd London G20
meetings have come and gone?

*<change facilitators>*
7. Discuss working structure

how/where will we communicate between ourselves about what we are doing?
do we need to (briefly) discuss how we will make decisions/allocate
resouces/resolve conflicts or will we figure that out as we go along?

establishing initial working groups to take on preparatory work within
agreed mandates, eg:
Network and Outreach group - contact groups, individuals, ngos to get more
people involved. How will we communicate? Liaise between regional/local
groups.  Establish website.
Funding and Resources group
Workshop and activities group  - will we organise workshops during
mobilization?
action center group  - to find and secure a site(s) from which to organize
actions.
Process group  - Ensure meetings and working groups structure happens.
Other admin.
Media & Messaging group (indymedia & dependymedia)
Legal support
other working groups?  do we need more working groups?  are some of these
working groups unnecessary?
do we need a working group on explaining the economic crisis - what kind
of solutions

 -break into working groups
 -report back from working groups

8.  Discussion of Timeline
What has to be done between then and now?  by whom?  when?  (doing things
all at the last minute encourages burnout)

9.  When/Where will the next meeting(s) happen?  Who will compile and
distribute the notes from this meeting?

10. Feedback/Evaluation how did this meeting go?  What will we do next time?

SUNDAY
1.  Pick facilitators/ Introductions/ Update new people/ decide agenda/ etc

2.  On 2nd day return to whatever still needs to be discussed/worked out.

3.  Break into three discussion groups (everyone picks one group)
strategy discussion (who will be in London?  Who are our friends and
opponents?  How will we cooperate effectively with other groups?  what
will the public think?  globally?)
actions discussion (brainstorm?  when/where might we decide on actions?
do we need to consider security of when/where decisions are made)
explaining the economic & the environmental crisis - what kind of
solutions do we want to see?  what will the G20 be proposing?

4.  Have a second meeting of all the working groups and then report back.

5.  Discuss timeline/& next meeting, who will be doing what?

5.  Feedback/Evaluation