[Dissent-announce] Update: Climate Camp in London's Square Mile, April 1

Baby Jesus babyjesus at riseup.net
Wed Mar 4 23:15:12 GMT 2009

Because nature doesn't do bailouts.

April 1 in the evening... the sun has gone down, the sky is clear and
stars are on view... instead of going home we get firewood from our
backpacks, make tea and coffee on rocket stoves and then, just as the
hunger pangs start, jacket potatoes!

Yes, we are actually going to camp in the city...

The G20 meeting is coming up fast, as are our plans to shut down carbon
markets and be camping in London's Square Mile as the 20 heads of state
arrive.  Below we've included more information and the latest update.

You can check out http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/g20 as we get closer to
Financial and Fossil Fools Day -- April 1st.

In the meantime, we all need to get the word out. Basically the success of
the Camp in the City is a game of getting as many people as possible to
the City on April 1.

**The callout can be forwarded to your friends and email lists- it is
here: http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/g20

**Invite your friends to the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=49600653225

**Forward this update to your mates, any relevant lists you are on, and
post it on websites.

**Hold a local group meeting to discuss the G20

**Download the postcard version for photocopying and get it out:
http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/files/G20PostcardB_4onA4.pdf

**Stickers and colour postcards are available -- email g20 at
climatecamp.org.uk to get them.

Below you'll find:

1) THE CLIMATE CAMP IN 2009
2) PRACTICAL INFORMATION
3) INFORMATION FOR NEIGHBOURHOODS AND AUTONOMOUS GROUPS
4) CALL OUT FOR WORKSHOPS
5) CALL FOR LEGAL OBSERVERS
6) FOOD AT THE G20 CAMP, MESSAGE FROM THE FOOD GROUP
7) DETAILS OF NEXT MEETING -- NOTTINGAM MARCH 7/8

This information is also available at
http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/g20-practicalities.

1) THE CLIMATE CAMP IN 2009

The Climate Camp new year national gathering made huge progress,
conceiving a strategic decision to focus on the failed economic system,
and developing four ambitious and exciting projects stemming from this. If
you weren't at the gathering, or haven't yet had a chance to look over the
decisions made, check them out: http://climatecamp.org.uk/?q=node/501

The most urgent project going ahead is "Climate Camp hits the City", a one
day and night camp in the square mile of London taking place on April 1st,
the eve of the G20. Climate Camp has never organised an action at such a
fast pace, and so everyone is encouraged to get networking locally across
the UK to make Climate Camp first event of 2009 an enormous success! To
find out more about the details of the G20, go to
http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/g20

2) PRACTICAL INFORMATION

CONVERGE. There will be a convergence centre from Saturday the 28th April,
so you can go to the 'Put People First' march by the big NGO's and Unions,
and stay in London until the Wednesday 1st April, and camping in the City.
There will be plenty of work to do over those last days! See
www.climatecamp.org.uk nearer the time for the exact location.

ARRIVE. Come for the day, or if possible come for the day and night! The
adventure will begin at noon, April 1st, European Climate Exchange,
Hasilwood House, 62 Bishopsgate, EC2N 4AW.  More details nearer the time.
For some background on carbon markets, and why we're shutting down the
exchange, visit http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/g20-why

LOOK AFTER EVERYONE. Although we hope to provide some food, and shelter
for those who want to sleep, please try to arrive as self-sufficient as
possible -- when you are camping in the heart of the financial district,
there are no guarantees that we'll be able to have much infrastructure!
Bring water, warm clothes, a pop-up tent if you've got one, sleeping bag,
and if you can, some blankets and tarp.  Carrying your own food to share
and water will also put less strain on our kitchen, and please arrive well
fed.

TRANSFORM. We also want to transform the financial district, both
symbolically and visually into a physical manifestation of our desired
worlds.  Doing that is up to all of us.  We want our space to look
beautiful. So come with your own plans, costumes, theater, music,
entertainment and spectacle. Wind turbines, mobile cinemas, action plans
-- whatever you think you can pull off.

Let's imagine another world or two or three....

3) INFORMATION FOR NEIGHBOURHOODS AND AUTONOMOUS GROUPS

If you are part of a Climate Camp neighbourhood, or would like to be part
of one, contact your local group: http://climatecamp.org.uk/node/40.

If you are in a local group, give the Process Group
(process at climatecamp.org.uk) your details for the Climate Camp website.
With an exciting process up and running again, people are hopefully
looking to get involved. However, our Local Group page is out of date.
Therefore, if you are a local Climate Camp group (whether or not you were
a neighbourhood at the Camp '08), give us some text about the basic
details (when and where you meet, contact details, a bit about yourselves)
and we'll get it on the website. We can also arrange for your local group
to have an @climatecamp.org.uk email address.

If groups arrive sorted, that will put less strain on everyone.  Think
about how you would like to transform our space, and come with the
materials you need to do so. We are also urging all groups to have back up
plans and actions. There is no Planet B, but everyone should have a Plan
B...

4) WORKSHOPS AT CLIMATE CAMP PART 1

The camp is looking for workshops for the day. We would love to hear from
you if you can offer a workshop, especially (but not limited to) workshops
on carbon trading, market solutions to climate change, and the economic
crisis. We are also really keen to hear from you if you can offer music,
street theatre or anything else which will make the day inspiring and
educational!

Please let us know if you would be able to offer a workshop. Contact: at
g20workshops at riseup.net

5) LEGAL OBSERVERS FOR CLIMATE CAMP PART 1

Want to be a trained legal observer? If so we really want lots of legal
observation for the G20 camp on the 1st April. There will be a training
event on 31st March. Remember we need people for both the 1st and 2nd of
April. Email: legal at climatecamp.org.uk.

6) FOOD AT THE G20 CAMP, MESSAGE FROM THE FOOD GROUP

First. Bring plenty of fresh WATER; Bring Food; Bring a bog roll!; Bring
bin liners to take away rubbish; bring a bowl, cup and fork.

Second. Do NOT bring propane bottles or sharp knives.

Third. If you can bring a Rocket Stove - it would be wonderful - it's
proper camping and visually cool.

Fourth. There is a food and kitchens group who will work hard in
collaboration with local groups to pre-prepare SUPPLEMENTARY vegan food
throughout the 24 hours of action -- some in the location and in other
places. This could include a light dinner on the 1st April and possibly
hot breakfast on April 2nd. Donations of £2-3 per head will be requested
to fund this provision.

Fifth. Join the food group and help to make and distribute food. Email
tummyfiller at riseup.net

7) NEXT MEETING -- NOTTINGAM MARCH 7/8

The next national Camp for Climate Action gathering is going to be in
Nottingham, from the 7th to 8th of March. The Venue is the wonderful Sumac
Centre, details of which can be found on their website at:
http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/welcome.html

The Gathering will run from 10.30am on the Saturday till 5pm on the
Sunday, so get booking your trains and coaches.  We'll not only be
discussion the G20, but also, other climate camp projects.