[Dissent-bristol-info] first thoughts on climate change

autonomous at riseup.net autonomous at riseup.net
Sun Oct 24 11:26:21 BST 2004

these are the first thoughts I've put together about climate
change...maybe we need a short description about how the emissions are
bringing about warming and what have you?  we can talk about it on tuesday

The G8 and Climate Change

The Kyoto protocol came into being in 1997 and is an extension of the
Montreal protocol of 198?.  The protocol states that those signed up
will limit their emission levels to those of 1990.

Although the protocol has been ratified by over 150 countries the main
polluters are yet to agree to its terms.  Today (23rd Oct 2004) Russia
ratified the protocol, but, this is allegedly in a deal with the EU
member states to allow it to get membership to the World Trade
Organisation (WTO)!

China and India are not part of the protocol because they were not
considered industrialised in 1997.  However, both of these countries
have seen high levels of economic growth in the last seven years to
the extent that their demand for oil is such that between them they
represent 40% of the world's oil growth[1].

In 2003 China's energy demand was equivalent to that of Japan, South
Korea, India and Indonesia combined, or some 80% of the EU-15 states,
and it increased by 14% in that year. In 2002 China overtook Japan to
become the second largest consumer of oil [2].  Remember that China
are not even party to the Kyoto protocol.

Another of the world's worst polluters the USA have pulled out of
Kyoto.  George Bush is on record as saying that he believes the
science of global warming to be suspect.  Could we expect anything
else from a son of one of America's oil families? Without the support
of China, India and the USA there is no hope that emissions of
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) gas will fall.

In a speech given in central London Tony Blair warned of catastrophic
consequences for our world and way of life if the international
community does not take action. No one nation can resolve the issue,
he said.  Blair said "To acquire global leadership, on this issue
Britain must demonstrate it first at home".

Unless China voluntarily cut their emissions and the USA can be
persuaded to ratify Kyoto, both very unlikely, then whatever we do
here in Britain will be lost in the heat....

[1]
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/07/content_380099.htm

[2]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cepmlp/journal/html/Vol14/article14_6.html