[Dissent-bristol-info] Re: palestine solidarity /info day programme

auto_gnome at riseup.net auto_gnome at riseup.net
Sat Feb 19 19:15:25 GMT 2005

Hi Nancy

> Also, ISM Bristol are happy to colloborate on giving a presentation on the
> 9th about working in solidarity with the Palestinian people, to compliment
> the talks given on the Zapatistas if people think this would be a good
> dea  - let me know

I'd heard ISM may be interested in doing/collaborating on a workshop,
however the small group of us organising the dayschool event have been
working to the 'programme' agreed at the last meeting.

The reason we'd asked Kiptik to do a 45 minute presentation (effectively a
lecture!) on the Zapatista uprising was because of the context it occured
in - as an uprising against neo-liberalisation on the day NAFTA kicked in
in north Amercia (1/1/94). While Kiptik will no doubt refer to solidarity
work our main reason for asking them to do the presentation is the way
that NAFTA links in so clearly with the capitalist economic ideas of the
G8 & the corporations backing them.

I don't want to diminish the work of ISM/palestine solidarity, but in the
contact of the overall programme (given limited time/space for workshops
etc) their didn't seem space to fit it in (nor any number of other
worthwhile ideas). We also wanted the day to focus on the
work/politics/outcomes of the G8 and resistance to it. I would say tho
that we'd hope/expect people involved in various campaigns to draw on
their experiences when contrinuting in various workshops.

What I can do is perhaps suggest to the group (allowing for actual space
at the venue) a 4th workshop to go ahead in the first session of 1 hour
workshops, which are intended to be a series of workshops highlighting
what people can do locally in the here & now to oppose the effects of
global capital/corporate media. Perhaps with a working title of 'acting
locally, thinking globally', that ISM could lead - that would look at the
issues/role of local solidarity campaigns drawing on their own experience,
with participants discussing their own experiences/ideas/problems etc.
What do people think?

The 'last' sort of plenary session for the day is also intended to provide
a space for feedback, callouts for action, ideas & support for campaigns.
Additionally we intend to have space for people to leave free info about
campaigns etc.

cheers
Tim