[Dissent-bristol-info] 'Dayschool' venue problems!

MH mhulot2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 22:22:58 GMT 2005

Hi - it was agreed at the general Dissent meet on the
4 Jan that this sub-group would meet next on Tues 18
Jan, 6pm @ Kebele. I guess we have 2 agenda items:

A: Factsheets - be useful if people could circulate
drafts beforehand.

B: Dayschool - we were tasked with bringing a concrete
proposal to the next general meet on 25 Jan, that is
venue, structure of day, other arrangements (food
etc). At present we have a date (2 April), an outline
structure for the day (12 workshops, previously
circulated), but no venue - and there's the problem!

Essentially we are looking for a venue that could take
approx 100 people (?) with provision for 4 rooms for
workshops (approx 20-25 people in each), and ideally a
larger space where we could all gather at start/end of
day. Also we (may?) need to provide food.

I've looked at a number of venues and to be honest
appropriate ones are in short supply:

CEED (St Pauls) & Silai for skills (Easton Rd) - too
expensive, inappropriate & insufficient room space,
too posh!

Cube - insufficient room space.

Trinity - essentially one big hall, with small room
off it (on ground floor). Space upstairs unclear, as
is cost (depends who you talk too).

Easton Community Centre - has a hall, 2 further meet
rooms & foyer (and kitchen) area. Would be ideal...but
is booked up every Saturday morning (that is hall & 2
meet rooms) until approx 1pm.

Centre for the Deaf (Kings Sq) - has been closed for
asbestos removal, reopens this week. Not clear what
facilities are available, or cost.

St Werburghs C/Centre - has a hall, 2 or 3 other
rooms, plus a foyer & kitchen area.

Of these I'd say Easton (unavailable til 1pm)& St
Werburghs are the best options, with the Trinity worth
a follow up. These 3 are probably the cheapest, at a
rough guess approx 200 quid for the first two. Whether
they are available on 2 April is another matter!

To proceed i reckon it needs 3 of us to spend a
morning having a look at these 3 and noting fully the
costs/facilities/availability/catering possibilities
BEFORE we meet on 18 Jan. I can spend a half day on
this later this week (Wed, Thur or Fri). Who else is
up for coming along?

cheers
mh