[Dissent-bristol-info] Meeting resume/dayschool proposal

MH mhulot2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 00:19:05 GMT 2005

Bristol Dissent Info/research sub-group meet 18/1/05 -
resume

Present: 7/8 people

In no particular order:

1. Factsheets
Agreed we’d been slipping on these, and that we should
aim to circulate our drafts by end of January, in time
for all to read/comment on them before the next
sub-group meeting on TUESDAY 8 FEBRUARY, 6pm at Kebele
(can Paul ‘book’ the space for that night please).

2. Dayschool venue
John to approach Trinity Centre with formal request
for booking on 2 April, 10am to 6pm, on behalf of
Bristol Dissent. We need their clarification on use of
the upstairs for workshop meets; what catering
facilities are available (can we cook there?); would
they have over 100 chairs; cost of hire. There will
doubtless be a host of other queries.

Trinity is preferred choice. But John also to check
with Simba (?) regards Malcolm X centre –
cost/availability/reduced rates via Tom (St Pauls or
St Agnes groups).

Third possibility is St Werburghs Centre. Think Tom
was gonna check if he could get a reduced rate there
at all/availability.

outline proposal (below) on the main group list.

3. Dayschool proposal
Here’s the outline for the day as discussed. I’ve also
lobbed in a few practicalities that came to mind –
comments please!

Possible name for the day: ‘Bristol G8 Dissent
presents
Information for Action’ – a day of workshops,
information, presentations & discussion.

Cost: free/donation

Kids welcome, but sorry no crèche

No animals/pets

No alcohol/non-smoking inside

Catering: cheap drinks/cake first thing; lunch for
100+ (hot or cold depends on facilities) at maybe 2
quid. (Tom to work up proposal).

Organising email: Bristol_g8workshops at riseup.net (Tim
awaiting confirmation it’s set up).

Publicity: funky double-sided A5 flyer to publicise
event (plus use email lists, indymedia et etc); folded
A4 programme on day.

Outline for day:
10am or earlier – access building for setting up
10.30am – advertised start> mingle, info, stalls,
register(?)/join email list etc
11am – opening session> introduction; speaker from
Schnews (Tim to contact em) on why we oppose the
G8/capitalism; sort any problems.
12 – 1pm: 3 workshops>
Alternative to capitalism (John to organise).
ART resistance (Tim speak to Martin)
Alternative media (Tom to arrange with BIMC &
Bristolian)

1 – 2pm: Lunch

2 – 2.45pm: 4 presentations>
Africa – debt & poverty (John to contact local
WDM/Jubilee)
Iraq – Jo Wilding
Zapatista - uprising & solidarity  (Tim to speak to
Ben/Kiptik)
No Borders/asylum seekers (?approach Columbian
solidarity/Josh?)

2.45 – 3pm: break

3 – 4.30pm: 3 workshops>
CIRCA/clown army – an introduction (Paul to approach
Jen via Tasha)
Direct action + legal – how & why (Tim to speak to Ben
& friends, plus LDMG re legal)
Climate Change – causes & action (Tim to contact Mark
B @ London Rising Tide)

4.30 – close (5.30?): closing session, focus on
action, ideas, mingling etc.

Later – benefit/social!