[Dissent-bristol-info] Updated dayschool proposal - 9/4

auto_gnome at riseup.net auto_gnome at riseup.net
Sat Jan 22 00:30:45 GMT 2005

Hi - new email here...

Ok below is an updated dayschool proposal. Please look at it carefully &
get comments on the list asap. We need to put the proposal on the general
list by Sunday midday so other can think about it.

A couple things: just announced is a 'Festival of Dissent' in Lanarkshire
from 6-10 April. How would this affect us?
Would the MalcyX centre be available on the evening for a benefit (John)?
Check the organisational practicalities!
cheers.....

Bristol Dissent Dayschool outline proposal!
(from the info/research sub-group)

1. Dayschool venue and date
It is proving impossible to obtain a suitable venue for 2 April. We have
therefore made provisional bookings for 9 APRIL (10am to 6pm approx) at
both Malcolm X Centre in St Pauls, and The Trinity, off Old Market.

Of the two we recommend Malcolm X on the grounds of cost (approx
₤150); space for workshops; location; catering facilities; and
potential benefit venue(?).

Any objections to this date & venue???

2. Outline for the day

Possible name for the day: ‘Bristol G8 Dissent presents
Information for
Action’ – a day of workshops, information, presentations & discussion.

Schedule:
10am or earlier – access building for setting up
10.30am – advertised start> mingle, info, stalls, register(?)/join email
list, tea & cake etc

11am – opening session> introduction; speaker from Schnews (Tim to contact
em) on why we oppose the G8/capitalism; sort any problems & outline day.

12 – 1pm: 3 workshops>
Alternatives to capitalism in the here and now (John to organise).
ART resistance (c/o Martin from Kebele)
Our Media (Tom to arrange with BIMC & The Bristolian)

1 – 2pm: Lunch

2 – 2.45pm: 4 presentations>
Africa – debt & poverty (John to discuss with local WDM/Jubilee)
Iraq – WMD, oil, corporations, regional control (Jo Wilding)
Zapatista - uprising against NAFTA & solidarity  (ask Ben> Kiptik & Easton
Cowboys)
No Borders/asylum seekers (?approach Columbian solidarity/Josh?)

2.45 – 3pm: break

3 – 4.30pm: 3 ‘action’ workshops>
CIRCA/clown army – an introduction (Paul to approach Jen via Tasha)
Direct action + legal – how & why (Ben & friends, plus LDMG re legal?)
Climate Change – causes & action (Tim to contact London Rising Tide)

4.30 – close (5.30?): closing session, focus on action, ideas, mingling etc.

Later – benefit/social! (same venue or other?)

3. Organising practicalities
Cost - free/donation (₤1 min)
Kids - welcome, but sorry no crèche
No animals/pets
No alcohol/non-smoking inside
Catering: cheap drinks/cake first thing; lunch for 100+ (hot and/or cold
depends on facilities) at maybe 2 quid. (Tom to work up proposal).
Organising email for dayschool: awaiting confirmation it’s set up
Publicity: funky double-sided A5 flyer to publicise event (plus use email
lists, indymedia et etc); folded A4 programme on day.
Stalls/free info/displays