[Dissent-bristol-info] Draft press release

John Mayford john at avoncda.coop
Tue Mar 8 10:00:57 GMT 2005

Looks good to me

John

-----Original Message-----
From: auto_gnome at riseup.net [mailto:auto_gnome at riseup.net]
Sent: 07 March 2005 22:32
To: dissent-bristol-info at lists.aktivix.org
Subject: [Dissent-bristol-info] Draft press release

Hi - here's a slightly rejigged copy of the PR I sent to the Bristol STW
newsletter. It's tempting to add much more in the opening para regards the
G8 & climate change/poverty/war etc, but I've resisted that in case it
gets too long!

With under 5 weeks to the day, we need to start getting initial PR out on
lists etc asap. We can follow up in a couple weeks with a more detailed
programme.

So...Comments anyone? Or our main outreach event just ain't gonna happen.
Any progress on posters Paul?

PR:
Bristol G8 Dissent! presents - 'Information for Action'

Saturday 9 April, 10.30am to 5.30pm. Malcolm X Centre, Ashley Rd/City
Road, St Pauls, Bristol BS6. All welcome - entry free/donation.

Our daily lives are becoming ever more dominated and controlled by the
actions of large corporations and their political representatives in the
self-appointed G8 (Group of Eight most powerful/rich nations). In July the
G8 hold their annual summit in Scotland. Can we trust this unelected,
secretive, elite gentlemen's club to act in all our best interests, behind
closed doors? We don't think so! In response Bristol G8 Dissent! is
holding a day long event open to all - to share information, exchange
ideas, consider alternatives, and discuss ways we can resist. And we'll
have a good time too!

The day will start & end with general assemblies. In between there will be
3 sessions of workshops/presentations, to be run by individuals and/or
groups mainly based in Bristol. In brief these are:
Session 1, choose from - Our media; alternatives to capitalism here & now;
art resistance; solidarity (acting locally, thinking globally).
Session 2 - Africa debt/poverty; Iraq; Zapatista rebellion; no
borders/asylum seekers.
Session 3 - Climate change; direct action; clown army.

Also provided: cheap drinks, snacks & vegan lunch; kids space (contact us
if you are bringing kids!); free info; stalls.

In the evening there will be a benefit social night at The Full Moon,
Stokes Croft, with bands & DJ's.

For more info about the day please contact Bristol_g8workshops at riseup.net.
To get involved with the Bristol G8 Dissent Group, and in resisting the G8
and their summit in Scotland this July, email
dissentbristol at susbsection.org.uk; write to Box 102, Greenleaf Books, 82
Colston St, Bristol BS1. Or come to the next monthly Dissent meeting, 22
March, 7.30pm, at Kebele, 14 Robertson Rd, Easton BS5. See also
www.dissent.org.uk