[Dissent-bristol-info] 9 April - issues outstanding (for meeting)

auto_gnome at riseup.net auto_gnome at riseup.net
Mon Mar 14 23:45:43 GMT 2005

Hi - below is a list of issues that I think we need to sort out for 9
April. There may be more...conversely many of these may be in hand!
Hopefully it'll help concentrate our minds tomorrow (Tuesday 15th at 6pm -
Kebele).

We also need a recap on the factsheets/briefing papers.

Outstanding Issues – 9 April

1. Publicity
Posters / flyers / translations / copying & costs / distro.
Email / lists / BIMC

2. Booking MX
Confirm rate/total cost. Pay it.
Request no. chairs, no. tables, and where they go.

3. Food
Update on logistics – volunteers, equipement, getting it there
 with
drinks/snacks available at 10.30am etc.
Money – resolve issue of any ‘profit’ from ‘food’ going to cover cost of
day or to Kebele.

4. Kids-space
Update on co-ordination / volunteers / worker(s) / equipement.

5. Decs for hall
Need banners / posters.

6. Co-ordination on day
Suggestion to divide up responsibilities as follows:
Kids-space – Tom
Food – Paul
Main hall (chairs, stalls, video/sound) – John & Ollie
Entrance/info stall – Tim

7. The main event
Think through opening & closing sessions.
Programme - confirm workshop name / description of it / name of person or
group running it (see below).
Which workshops where?
Getting out by 6pm!

8. Programme
Have started work on a programme for the day (A4 folded). To include:
Front – title, graphic, welcome (short list of respectful behaviours)
Page 2&3 – list of sessions, descriptions, where, time
Back – dates for local stuff & summit events; info on Bristol Dissent;
other resources.
Draft for next meet – 29 March?

Draft session details as follows:
A. Opening session
1. Introduction to Dissent nationally & locally - Bristol G8 Dissent – who?
2. Why we oppose capitalism (& the G8) – confirm name/title???
3. Outline for the day – Bristol G8 Dissent – who ?
4. Chair – who?

B. First Session
1. Solidarity - acting locally, thinking globally (Bristol ISM -
www.palsolidarity.org)
"A look at building awareness for international issues & campaigns, and
providing practical support - here and there." (17 words - confirmed)

2. Art activism (Bristol Artivist)
"The political use of art - graffiti/stencils/subverts/murals – in
providing resistance and alternative viewpoints. Bristol Artivist aims to
network local artists involved in activism. The start point and current
focus is ... G8! Displays and live demonstration (37 words – confirmed)

3. Living alternatives to capitalism - John M /Kebele etc
“What we can do in the here & now to live our lives differently ie co-ops,
collectives (work, home, land, food).” (21 words – draft - John)

4. Our media (BIMC, Bristolian, Bristle)
“Combatting the power of the media corporations, and exposing dodgy deals
in high places is no easy task, but Bristol has a wealth of alternative
media projects – how do they do it?” (32 words – confirmed)

C. Second session
1.The Zapatista’s rebellion - Kiptik
"The 1994 uprising against NAFTA & neo-liberalisation (and later the
FTAA), which inspired the global anti-capitalist movement & the later
solidarity work." (24 words – draft - Tim)

2. African debt & poverty - person from AA
“How & why it occurs.” (5words – draft - John)

3.The G8, the corporations, and the war on Iraq - Jo Wilding & ?
“Why we went to war, and who is really making a killing out of it.” (15
words – draft - John)

4. No borders means no asylum seekers – CSC/Josh?
“What’s wrong with ‘Fortress Europe’ & the internment of refugees, and how
can we support asylum seekers practically.” (18 words – draft - Ollie)

D. Third Session
1. Direct Action - Bristol Dissent (B,G & friends)
"Why and how we use it; various forms of direct action / practicalities."
(12 words – draft - Tim)

2. Taking direct action for climate justice - what are our options?
(London Rising Tide & friends - www.risingtide.org.uk &
www.londonrisingtide.org.uk)
“We'll look at bottom-up strategies for saving the climate without
sacrificing social justice. We'll also talk about the global day of action
on the root causes of climate chaos on July 8th. (32 words – confirmed).

3. Clown Army - Hil from CIRCA
“An intro to the psychology & practice of the very serious clown army.”
(13 words – draft – Tim)

E: Closing session
Facilitators – suggest Ginny as one. Other?

F: Stalls Confirmed - who else wants
Bristol Dissent; free info table; Kebele info/books; Bristolian (2nd hand
books);