[Dissent-fr-info] The lost spirit of Seattle

Dissent! France Info Newsletter dissent-fr-info at lists.aktivix.org
Mon May 2 21:27:49 UTC 2011

The lost spirit of Seattle

In 1999, anti-WTO protests made world news. Now, a DC march goes
unnoticed. What happened to the critique of globalisation?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/apr/25/protest-imf

The only clue I had to the International Monetary Fund/World Bank
protests taking place in Washington, DC last weekend was the inflatable
palm tree floating down the road. On my way to a film festival, I had
run smack into a modest, two block-long protest march, heading towards
the location for the spring meetings.

And I'm sure I wasn't alone in being uninformed. Outside of a few radio
updates (normally, advising drivers to expect delays), the media were
largely silent on the protests. Both the Washington Post and the
Washington Times ran wire reports from the Associated Press
<https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/17/2-arrested-imf-world-bank-protests-dc/>,
in lieu of actual on-the-ground reporting in their home city. A search
on the Washington City Paper website, a local indie weekly, only
provides information on protests that happened in 2002. Even searching
online after the fact revealed only scattered support on a few indie
<http://www.phillyimc.org/en/event/protest-imfworld-bank-april-15-17-washington-dc>
and punk-oriented
<http://squattheplanet.com/where/events/13705-16-rallies-dc-protest-wto-imf.html>
message boards, and event coverage was limited to the most dedicated of
outlets <http://imfresistance.org/>. How the mighty have fallen.

Twelve years ago, the nation was captivated by the Battle in Seattle, an
anti-globalisation protest so vast that it brought the city to a
standstill. The 1999 protests were marked by widespread media coverage,
which sparked conversations about the role of the three largest global
trade governing bodies -- and illuminated how violence can be leveraged
by activists seeking publicity. While the vast majority of the protests
were peaceful, one dedicated group
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization_Ministerial_Conference_of_1999_protest_activity>
started a chain reaction by breaking windows and setting fire to
dumpsters, which provided much fuel for the media interest bonfire. In
the aftermath, activists had hoped this would be the beginning of wider
interest in preventing the environmental and humanitarian damage caused
by current global economic policies. Sadly, though, the need to
critically examine the operation of the IMF/World Trade
Organisation/World Bank triumvirate fell by the wayside after the early
2000s.

Even outside the activist universe, people are puzzled why protests
against the IMF/WTO/World Bank meetings aren't more brisk, considering
their positions as global powerbrokers hasn't changed a bit. Back in
2010, columnists for the Financial Times and Financial Policy wondered
why there weren't more protests at the WTO, particularly during the
increasingly bleak-looking Doha round
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doha_Development_Round>, which was
intended to address many of the policies that were protested a decade
ago. Gideon Rachman, blogging for the Financial Times, ventured a theory