[Dissent-tech] domain name

Sheffield Mayday sheffieldmayday at ukf.net
Mon Dec 1 11:56:49 GMT 2003

I checked for domain names at www.ukreg.com. The name dissent.org.uk
is available whereas dissent.net, .com, .org, .co.uk have all been
taken.

So I think we should get this domain name ASAP. However when we buy it
you have to give an address and a name and use a credit or debit card.

I don't know if anyone would want to this for security reasons. It's
easy for anyone to look up the owner of a domain name. This may not be
so important regarding the cops since they may well know who we are
anyway. But anonymity is useful for other reasons - media and fascists
spring to mind.

The postal address has to work - they usually send a confirmation
letter where one one has to log on to a web page and put in a special
number to confirm.

So unless anyone wants to use their name, address and credit card we
need to think of a way round this. There are a few possibilities.

1
 One solution may be to host the site at www.riseup.net who will (I
think) take care of the domain name stuff for us. Details of their
hosting service are here: http://hosting.riseup.net/.

2
At the meeting Ian said we could also host the site via Merci? Has
the advantage of being situated in Ireland where UK can't touch it. If
that's possible to do and get the domain name too I'd say go for it. I
think the domain name will cost about £12 for 2 years.

3
I have a friend who has a web design company. He may be willing to
buy the domain name for us - I'll ask. Though he can't provide web
space.

Anyway I think it would be good to sort this out ASAP. I think finding
any single word domain names free these days is pretty rare.

Also re: hosting I think we should aim to have at least one mirror
site by 2005 - that is have an identical site on a different server
somewhere. So whether we use Ireland or riseup for now may not matter
that much as by then we will be using two.

cheers,

steve

PS If you hit reply check the address it goes to - either the list or
just the sender.