[dissent-tech] Proposed changes to website

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Thu Aug 19 21:44:37 BST 2004

tabitha747 at riseup.net wrote:

>Some of us got together as we found the website to be a bit confusing and
>difficult to navigate.

There is navigation on every page, in left col and at bottom and also a
bread trail at top, leading one back.
The thing is there is allot on the site and there will be more, which
will make it more overwhelming than you static web version of  a leaflet
that many sites are, but that's what this site has become as people have
wished allot to go on site.

>  These are the notes from our discussions.  Please
>comment.
>
>HOME PAGE:
>This if possible should only have the intro paragraph and a left hand
>column with the following on it:
>* Menu list (see below)
>* Calendar (as it is on current site except with content)

No one is overseeing putting meetings on the dynamic calendar, it is bit
hit and miss. I don't see reasons to have it at forefront especially
given this.

>* Hit counter

I actually was considering removing one displayed at mo, as it is
misleading; see stats in admin. It would actually be more misleading if
used with static pages as it displays hits for each dynamic each page
called. Or do you want a separate hit counter for just hits on front page.

>MAIN MENU:
>How this site works: [closed] This link should take you to a text about
>how to use the site including list of pages and what to post where, login
>box for administrators, and a contact link for the website working group)
>Newsflash [open publishing]

I am totally against any form of 'open publishing' on dissent network
site as I understand 'open publishing'.

In fact I have never been that keen on the guestbook with it's open
publishing (display straight away - moderate after post) model, but I
can live with it, especially  as the  openness of a guest book is
understood by viewers.

But for other parts of the site I have always promoted fact that while
the content can be alter by a web interface access to that interface is
restricted to those that are involved in dissent working and local
groups, and is managed through a web of trust.
And if any access to submit stuff for site as in case with web links at
moment users not in this web of trust would have stuff moderated after
submission.

I may have added  to confusion by at dissent gathering by getting over
that I was asking people in working groups to come forward to add
content to say that it was like indymedia to add via a web interface.
But the workflow for arriving at what people see certainly is not like
indymedia.

>Gatherings [open?] This page should have current invite and agenda (if
>available), contact for gathering working group, archive of past minutes.
>Local Groups - as it is
>Working Groups- as it is.
>G8 info [open] Tadzio's article, links to interesting sites (e.g. Official
>G8 site, Uni of Toronto, Perthshire etc.)
>Tactics, Targets and Training [open] - Maps, company info, photos,
>training info, links to events, Legal info and links to legal pages,
>Medical info and links to medical pages, Mental Health info, etc.
>Publicity Resources [open] PDFs, texts, images, calls to action etc.
>International Network [open] links to translations
>Discussion Forum (link to enrager.net)
>Media [closed?] This should link to a page with a media disclaimer and a
>link to indymedia.org.uk and links to other "alternative media" [open]
>page with a list of other useful alternative media links.
>Archive [open] everything else...?

I am guessing (but it is only a guess as I am unclear) that by 'open'
you actually mean dynamically managed via the CMSs web interface which
multiple people have layered access to. And 'closed' you mean some
static pages that are managed through one person like most websites that
have sprung up for these sort of things.

If someone is willing to and manages the process of creating them then
some static pages to be created and maybe the first page people see when
they come to www.dissent.org.uk to be one. We have to get round fact we
don't want to break incoming links that one can't use index.html in same
directory as index.php of cms as interferes with POST function, but
there is a way round this splitting usage of domains with and without
www. and some redirects. We can cross that bridge when we come to it.

But the scheme  you lay out does not quite fit my interperation, as it
would imply selected dynamic elements to be used in some lone (in
general 'static') pages. At the moment the site is built around use of
one template and site is driven via index.php, one of great things about
mambo cms is one can build sets of pages and embed a few of dynamic
elements in them, using different module sets from the same db. But I
have never tried this myself, and not sure of possibilities or
limitations of this ( http://www.j12.org/sb/mamhooks.htm ).  In fact I
have not got round to finishing the look and feel of the G1 template I
hoped to work on, which involves adding more class to get images to show
in modules,  sub menus to show etc.. When Gary took helm over the then
rudderless website oversight, he rather than developing a new template
just switch to a different default one. I have no problem with this. But
it does indicate we have so far had limited human resources to then
develop how the site at a structural level, rather than content. Now it
could be just inertia due to how this website sites in a fuzzy wide
ranging project.

One thing I have always promoted is being a network of groups, local
groups should do there own websites. There is no one way of making a
website that suits all viewers.  At one point I wanted the site 2 col
with all modules on left, but others went with 3 col.

We link to forum on another site so we don't have to worry about
overseeing it, and can use time, to develop other content.

I think we get balance about right with this one, given human resources
we have.

Until I get a clear idea of how you wish to implement what you suggest
it is hard to comment.

But it seems you want to group some stuff around certain categories that
is spread across various bit of functionality in the CMS, this can not
really be don't in a clean elegant way within the limits of how the off
the shelf cms works. Though I can see idea of some static pages with
pointers to various sub sections within each bit of functionality. But
at end of day if one want to make a site with an elegant structure alike
a guide book then doing another site as a static site copying what you
need from dynamic  and one person updating now and again may be best way
to achieve this. It would be duplication of info but as I have said be
fore I don't see that as a problem just if the extra effort to create
(and maintain if not timeless) is worth it.

Also one change you made before of changing Documents to Downloads,
choose to lead people to that part of site based on functioning of it
rather than what to find there. And that act of downloading is apparent
to you as that is how you are set up. But for many when they click on
link to pdf or rtf file, it open within there browser, like a web page.
Now you and I with our technical  knowledge know that it is an external
plugin (Acrobat, xpdf, ghostscript or whatever) rather than browser
itself that is doing that, but to many casual viewers it will be same
action as other webpages. Now I realise then that you perhaps wanted to
differentiate it from the section of html marked up texts, but I don't
think changing name to 'downloads' achieves that. One could remove menu
item altogether but there are bigger disadvantages to that, in extra
work of ensuring one links to each doc from a web page in one of
sections (made easier now in that there is a drop down menu of all docs
in doc manager when one makes a link with wysiwyg editor of content),
and fact admin would have just the admin interface to to get to doc
manager to add stuff via, and I quite like fact I can browse stuff like
a casual viewer then just hit edit or upload link (if logged in as editor).

As ever those of you in working groups that have not got admin access
(and help/training) to site please put yourself forward.
I am happy to meet with others active on list/site as suggested monday
just after the gathering. But in Bradford I found my self free most of
sat evening and only one person approached me to be shown site. Also
someone added the website to the agenda at Bradford, so obviously had
some thoughts on it, but never put them self forward to express them at
gathering. If someone wants to to put website on agenda at next
gathering do have a clear idea of what you want decided and discussed
and lay ground work for that. There may have been a need for debate
should a network have website early on, which I guess is linked in with
the debate that everyone has been getting fed up with of what is a
network? (well lets just do it and find out). But I think it is too late
now we have this site, it is there. And I think it has done a good job
so far. There will of course be stuff discussed at network gathering
which will affect and feed into what goes on site. As site reflects what
network is doing.

Anyway more on that later.

also all those with admin access please note:

If in admin one is trying to copy and past text into text boxs, if the
javascript wysiwyg editor is active, browsers will often on allow the
copy and past to   interact with the javascript. This is a security
measure to prevent people who run website being able to arbitrarily take
stuff from you clip board. Press the button marked <html> to get raw
form and past in there then return to wysiwyg editor by press toggle
to close any unclosed ones. It also trys to convert special characters,
one less thing to worry about.
http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/

Also I will be quite busy with several projects including setting up
servers to rehost sites such as dissent.org.uk as the present set up for
hosting sites I have comes to end in October. Many details have yet to
be worked out for new servers, and will let people know near time what
options are. But there will be hopefully a collectively managed server
for political sites. There should be no changes as far as users of site
concerned, except for temp downtime during move.

bye for now,

Space Bunny
http://j12.org/sb/