[dissent-tech] poland squat - Rozbrat - 10th Birthday

Marek Piekarski sanch at wp.pl
Thu Jun 17 01:04:21 BST 2004

Rozbrat: 10th Birthday
Poland.Poznan.ul.Pulaskiego 21a. www.rozbrat.org
August 20-29 2004

1994 - 2004: Robrat is 10 years old! Rozbrat is the biggest,
oldest and most
active squat in Poland. A great anniversary of a great place
must be
celebrated in great way. That's we have prepared 10 days for 10
years of
Rozbrat. During those ten days, we would like to present a
spectrum of
activity by the people connected to Rozbrat, or to put it a
different way,
the people that made Rozbrat possible. If it weren't for free
thought and
alternative culture, Rozbrat wouldn't be possible. We have
invited people
with whom we have worked, people who have inspired us with their
work, and
people whose work is at odds with the status quo. As Camus put
it, "I
protest, therefore I am." During these 10 days, we would like to
give you a
glimpse of our protest. We want to show you that a different
world is
possible, a world that is no worse than the world on the covers
of glamorous
magazines and in the mouths of politicians. Let good fun feed
the fire of
the revolution, here and now!

Much is going on in Poland, both in the world of culture as well
as
politics. This is what we would like to show you. On the one
hand, artist
from our circles have received international acclaim, while on
the other
hand, they are censored and pushed back into the formal world.
One example
is Zbygniew Libera, an artist who creates conceptual art.
His "Lego Block
Concentration Camp" was nearly "shut down" by the court. Another
artist
censored by the world of finance, which subsidizes modern art,
is Rafał
Jakubowicz, whose "Arbaitdistsiplin" was shut down as a
consequence of
pressure from Volkswagen. The piece tied into the concept of
Volkswagen as a
labor camp (the company used the labor of concentration camp
prisoners.)
Dorota Nieznalska has become the most criticized and attacked
artist in
Poland. Here piece entitled "Passion" became an excuse for
demagogic
campaign against her. She was indicted by Polish courts for
offending
religious beliefs. The case was accompanied by threats and
Catholic crusades
against her.  Today, Nieznalska is boycotted by the "world of
art",
sponsors, and galleries. Whoever attempts to collaborate with
her either
loses their job or their gallery is forced to suffer various
consequences.
You will have a chance to meet all of these artists at Rozbrat
during the
birthday festival. There will also be a spectrum of other art,
the best
Polish bands, projects and people.

08/20: 5th "Abramowszczyzna" Anarchist Group meeting [lectures,
discussion,
presentations]

08/21: 5th "Abramowszczyzna" Anarchist Group meeting [lectures,
discussion,
presentations, special guest, Janusz Reichel in concert...]

08/22: Art Day

08/23: Word Day [for example.... book fair: alternative and
anarchist press, literary spam
by Podsiadło, Masłowska, Koronkiewicz, Malinowski Ziggy
Stardust...]

08/24: Film Day [for example... Premiere Rozbrat Documentary,
unavailable yet inspiring
films, both documentaries and others...]

08/25: Sport Day [for example... Chess and Soccer tournament,
Boxing, Capoeira...]

08/26: Theater Day [for example... Teatr Ósmego Dnia, Akademia
Ruchu, Komuna Otwock...]

08/27-28: Birthday Concert [for example... Apatia, Super Girls &
Romantic Boys, Złodzieje
Rowerów, Jude, Świat Czarownic + Brylewski...]

08/29: Rozbrat Picnic

LOOKING mor info...  www.rozbrat.org

.