[dissent-tech] Press Release for website

revolting revolting2005 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 27 18:04:36 GMT 2005

Would be good if the press release could go on the
Dissent! website. Maybe there could be a section for
press releases under the media section.

Thanks.

**Press Release**Press Release**Press Release**Press
Release**Press Release**

International Anti-G8 Meeting in Tuebingen, Germany
(For immediate release)

>From 26th-27th February 2005, people involved in
anti-capitalist groups and networks from twenty-three
different countries, gathered in Tuebingen, Germany to
continue planning resistance to the 2005 G8 Summit.

The meeting declared, “This year’s Summit professes to
address issues important to us all, amongst them:
climate change and poverty. Yet these are issues
produced by a system from which the G8 was born and
which it attempts to manage. Resistance is the obvious
and growing response to the current order. Our aim is
not merely to oppose the Summit, but to contribute to
the daily struggle to create new worlds.”

A number of action plans were developed over the
weekend, reflecting the diversity of the perspectives
from which those attending were coming. Concrete
action plans included:

·	Blockades of the Summit.
·	Holding a people’s golf tournament on the lawns of
Gleneagles.
·	Taking direct action against the causes of climate
change.
·	Actions for freedom of movements.
·	Supporting the blockades of Faslane nuclear
submarine base.
·	Co-ordinating actions around the world showing
solidarity with those resisting the Summit.
·	Constructing self-managed, ecologically sustainable
convergence spaces.
·	Resisting increasingly flexible working conditions
being imposed in the UK and around the world.

The meeting also commented, “Whilst the eight most
powerful men on Earth retreat behind fences and into
militarised zones to pursue their policies of war,
growth and destruction, we are attempting to build new
spaces, open to everybody, and in which we can
demonstrate our legitimate alternatives: of
self-management, of non-hierarchical and consensus
based decision making and of ecological
sustainability.”

Notes to the Editor

1)	The 2005 G8 Summit will take place at Gleneagles
Hotel in Perthshire, Scotland. Gleneagles is located
70 Kilometres north of Edinburgh.
2)	Amongst those attending the meeting were people
based in: Scotland, Germany, Macedonia, Greece,
Hungary, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden, Lebanon, Israel,
Ireland, Finland, Italy, France, Belgium, Holland,
Russia, England, Belarus, the United States, Canada,
Austria and Switzerland.
3)	The meeting was organised by the Dissent!
International Networking Group. For more information
about Dissent! see: www.dissent.org.uk