[DurhamDivest] This if from 350.org concerning divestment

Susan Wesley swesley at phonecoop.coop
Tue Dec 19 12:59:38 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone

This if from 350.org concerning divestment.

"What a week...

Following the announcement last Monday that 100 MPs including Jeremy
Corbyn pledged to divest the MPs pension fund, the momentum has been
incredible!

The word really got out there. Not only did the news make page 3 in the
Financial Times, but we had powerful comment pieces from Rebecca
Long-Bailey* in the Guardian and Caroline Lucas in New Statesman laying
out the case, alongside local, pensions and Reuters business press.

Social media went wild, with the breaking news video viewed 120,000
times, and tweets from 37 MPs including Jeremy Corbyn, David Lammy,
Caroline Lucas and Norman Lamb. Oh, and Naomi Klein. Even better, as a
result of the pressure, 16 more MPs have signed the pledge, including
Chuka Umunna.

Thank you so much for getting in touch with your MP and making this
great moment possible!

It was a culmination of some amazing grassroots efforts from around the
country, making visible the important message that MPs want out of
fossil fuels. From here, we’re going to keep on building - getting more
MPs on board, focussing on building power in Tory constituencies and
putting pressure on the fund.

But for now, it's time to bask in some glory. Here’s a highlights blog
to share with your networks, and please do help spread the word and keep
momentum building.

Thanks again for everything you do, and looking forward to taking on the
next challenges in 2018. Our work is by no means done, but this is a
milestone worth celebrating.

Rest well,

Danni on behalf of the Divest Parliament team

*Rebecca Long-Bailey is the Shadow Secretary of State for Business,
Energy and Industrial Strategy"

Best wishes

Susan