[DurhamDivest] Reply from the Vice Chancellor

Susan Wesley swesley at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jan 31 13:22:16 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone

This is the reply from the Vice Chancellor.

"Dear Susan

Thank you for your email and for your account of the event at the Calman
Learning Centre.  The University continues its work around divestment
and the Divestment Commission Report is under consideration by the
University's Council.  The University is not 'dragging its feet'.

The University supports the right to protest, of course, but is also
committed to allowing free speech and expression within the law.  Public
lectures should not have to be 'abandoned'.

Kind regards,

Stuart"

The University still continues its work around divestment, is that news?
We know they are, "continues its work around divestment and the
Divestment Commission Report is under consideration by the University's
Council", we have known this for a long time. Some new news would be
nice, seems a lot like dragging their feet to me.

When does debate end so something can get done, they can talk forever
while the Earth burns.

Enjoy your day

Susan