[Fareshares_newsletter] Fareshares Newsletter, Spring 2016

Fareshares info at fareshares.org.uk
Sun Apr 3 09:20:46 UTC 2016

    Fareshares Newsletter, Spring 2016

Read this on our web site, if you prefer.
<http://fareshares.org.uk/2016/04/02/newsletter-spring-2016/>

      Everyone's Gone Vegan!

When Ioan Marc Jones went vegan for January - to appease his veggie
girlfriend & to show her it's no big deal - little did he realise that
he was embarking upon a journey from which he may not return. 'I was
dreading giving up meat - now I can’t find a reason to eat it,' he
eventually reported in The Independent
<http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/veganuary-i-was-dreading-giving-up-meat-now-i-can-t-find-a-reason-to-eat-it-a6837716.html#gallery>.
'To those people who love meat the way I love meat, I offer some advice:
refrain from accepting the Veganuary challenge,
<http://www.veganuary.com/> or any similar campaign
<http://www.the30dayveganchallenge.com/>. It might just work,' he says,
before concluding with a quip about kale and quinoa.

Jones' article comes with the obligatory mainstream media list of two
dozen 'celebrities' - some of whom you will definitely have heard of -
who have embraced the vegan lifestyle, for various reasons: ex-President
of the USA, Bill Clinton, quit meat for the good of his health while his
former VP is no doubt motivated by the claimed effects of animal
husbandry upon climate change. An emerging cohort of celebrated vegans
is the roster of first class athletes
<http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/26/13-vegan-athletes-smashing-it-on-a-meat-free-diet-5349835/>
who have emulated Venus and Serena Williams
<http://www.blogher.com/venus-and-serena-williams-go-vegan-2012>, both
of whom adopted a raw vegan diet in the new year of 2012. Since then,
Serena has won the US Open three times!

A surprising subset of this athletic cohort is the Vegan Hard Men, led
by 'Iron' Mike Tyson,
<http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/04/10/mike-tyson-goes-vegan-to-flush-drugs-bad-cocaine/>
who went vegan in 2010 at the age of 43 as a key part of a wider
lifestyle detox. England's own David Haye
<http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/david-haye-interview-i-lied-ive-let-people-down-9497558.html>
renounced animal protein early in 2014 and, two years later, regained
his heavyweight boxing championship with a first round knockout
<https://youtu.be/glcXVsBZNDw>. Ultimate Fighting Championship
<http://www.mensjournal.com/sports/articles/nate-diaz-and-other-vegan-ufc-fighters-w199323>
(UFC) fans will be aware that Nate Diaz
<http://www.radha.name/news/general-news/ufc-fighter-nate-diaz-is-vegan>, a
vegan of twelve years standing, caused a recent upset when he beat a
previously undefeated champ.  That's not to mention the increasingly
numerous vegan body builders <https://youtu.be/8R0w5xVVW8g> and NFL
(American Football) players
<http://www.si.com/edge/2014/04/24/going-vegan-nfl-0>.

The budget cookery writer, Jack Monroe, also went vegan for January as a
challenge and is also not going back. 'My meat addiction is over,' she
announced in The Guardian
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/jack-monroe-meat-vegan-food-ingredients>.
'I’ve gone vegan, and it’s brilliant.' To Facebook followers, Jack
explained, 'I feel I am going to stay vegan, although I prefer
'herbivore' but as ever, call me what you like as long as it's polite...
you’ll all be seeing a lot more curry from now on. And a world with more
curry in can only be a very good thing.' Since Jack's mushroom rogan
josh
<http://cookingonabootstrap.com/2016/01/19/mushroom-rogan-josh-26p-vegan/>
was the most popular recipe re-posted on Fareshares' Facebook page all
Veganuary, we concur .

      In A Broken Rice Dream

As everyone goes vegan and their markets expand, pioneers of popular
vegan products may be obliged to compromise. In order to ramp up
production and provide access to weighty distribution & savvy marketing,
they take on bigger corporate partners whose priorities may not match
their original ideals.

A case in point is Rice Dream
<http://mydairyfreedream.com/our-products/dream-drinks/>, of which
Fareshares sells gallons. Naturally lactose, dairy, gluten and soy-free
with no added sugars and low in fat, Rice Dream dairy-free milk was
invented by Robert Nissenbaum <https://youtu.be/nYD1knfdACA>, co-founder
of Imagine Foods
<http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/17/Imagine-Foods-Inc.html>.

20 years later, in 2002, Imagine joined The Hain Celestial Group’s
family of brands <http://www.hain-celestial.com/brands.php> that provide
delicious “better for you” foods loved by people of all ages.' Within
only a couple of years, dark rumours began to circulate, which are
detailed in the online version of this newsletter
<http://fareshares.org.uk/2016/04/02/newsletter-spring-2016/>. Rice
Dream has not necessarily done anything wrong, /per se/, but it's owned
by a large corporate entity that keeps unsavoury company. So, the
question arises, should Fareshares take Rice Dream off our shelves (as
others are doing) even though we sell gallons of the stuff?

What do say you, dear Fareshares shopper? Can you live without Hazelnut
Almond Praliné Rice Dream?
<http://mydairyfreedream.com/our-products/dream-drinks/rice-dream-praline-hazelnut/>
Have you got your own recipe that replicates its creamy deliciousness?
Or do you think we should give Rice Dream the benefit of the doubt, at
least until we can source a satisfactory replacement?

      Aquafabulous!

#aquafaba is the buzz word of the year and no mistake. In its
announcement of 2016 as the International Year of the Pulse, the
San.Fran. Chronicle reported
<http://www.sfchronicle.com/recipes/article/Cool-beans-6880685.php?t=eca31d91bf883cbd7b&cmpid=twitter-premium>:

'The most exciting new ways to use pulses are in baking, pastry and even
cocktails
<http://www.eater.com/2016/2/24/11104900/aquafaba-vegan-cocktails>. In
black bean brownies
<https://classic.ixquick.com//do/search?&language=english&query=black+bean+brownies&cat=web>
— the new gluten-free vegan potluck standby — or Chocolate Lentil Cake
<http://www.timelessfood.com/recipe/chocolate-lentil-cake/>, cooked and
pureed pulses add a surprisingly un-beany complexity. Garbanzo bean
cooking water, dubbed “aquafaba” by its vegan devotees, can be whipped
up into something almost identical to a meringue, an incredibly stable
stand-in for egg whites
<https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/blog/13-amazing-things-you-can-do-aquafaba>
in everything from macarons
<https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/the-secret-ingredient-in-these-vegan-macarons-is-bean-water>
to Pisco sours. Eggless lemon meringue pie
<http://thegentlechef.com/blog/?p=1557>, anyone?'

You may be thinking, '_Garbanzo_?' Chick Peas, by another name.
'Aquafaba' is the liquid that comes in the can, which has the right
balance of proteins to do a lot of the things that eggs do in a recipe,
from mayonnaise
<http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2016/03/10/fabanaise-a-mayonnaise-made-with-bean-water-yes-indeed/>
to meringue <http://www.glueandglitter.com/tag/meringue/> via omelettes
<http://avirtualvegan.com/vegan-omelette/>. To make aquafaba from
scratch,  soak & cook chickpeas and leave them to sit in their cooking
water overnight. (A pressure cooker, BTW, comes in v.handy.) You might
use the peas to make hummus, but with their aquafaba you can do
practically anything!

      #‎heartysoup‬: Top Six

Recipe categories marked by hashtags on our Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/FaresharesCoOp>, including #vegeburger &
#tempehtempeh, appear to expire and others may also use them, as you'll
see if you search #heartysoup
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/heartysoup?fref=ts>. As it is Spring,
however, let us review the past Winter soup season and its six most
salient successes (wot, neither cauliflower
<http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/creamy-cauliflower-curry-soup/>
nor celeriac <http://www.yummly.com/recipes/celeriac-soup-vegan>?) In
reverse order:

*6*= (Combined score = 56): Squash Apple Soup
<http://mywholefoodlife.com/2015/11/23/squash-apple-soup/> or Apple
Pumpkin Soup With Caramelized Onions
<http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/apple-pumpkin-soup-with-caramelized-onions/>
- 'A perfect autumnal blend for when it suddenly gets a colder out. The
sweetness of the squash, highlighted by apple, goes so well with the sage.'

*5* (Score = 95): Slow-Cooked Split Pea Soup With Homemade Croutons and
Coconut Bacon
<http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/slow-cooked-split-pea-soup-with-homemade-croutons-and-coconut-bacon/>
- Mmm... pig free bacon!

*4* (Score = 97): Robin Robertson's Global Vegan Kitchen's Crockpot
Callaloo Soup <http://robinrobertson.com/crockpot-callaloo-soup/> - R.R.
substitutes spinach for callaloo and suggests chard as an alternative.
It also includes thyme, but you might use za'atar.

*3* (Score = 103): Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder
<http://www.veganricha.com/2015/10/vegan-chipotle-corn-chowder.html> -
Robin Robertson, again, using frozen whole kernel corn with some more
exotic ingredients - liquid smoke; chipotle chile in adobo sauce - that
one might have fun finding substitutes for. See also Smoky Potato Corn
Chowder
<http://www.findingvegan.com/smoky-vegan-corn-and-potato-ch%E2%80%A6/>.

*2* (Score = 130): Roasted Garlic-Ginger Carrot Soup With a Miso Cashew
Cream
<http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/roasted-garlic-ginger-carrot-soup-with-a-miso-cashew-cream/>
-  A classic ‪#‎heartysoup‬ given a twist with Miso Cashew Cream (blend
soaked cashews with miso, lemon juice and water).

*1* (Score = 192) -Chickpea Soup with Cabbage,Tomatoes & Basil
<http://www.ordinaryvegan.net/chickpea-soup/> - Simply the best.

      Urban Leg Ends

Fareshares first Pickling Workshop on the final day of February was a
great success on a number of levels. Of the 15 enthusiasts who learned
(and practised) the art of salt-fermentation, only two were regular
Fareshares shoppers, so its nice to get some new people interested!
Everyone had a great time, and we're keen to hold more workshops on a
regular basis. The next salt-fermentation pickling workshop will take
place towards the end of April, and there'll be a Herbal medicine and
another pickling workshop in May, so everyone gets a chance to learn and
play!

Keep an eye out for posters in the shop and on our Facebook page for
dates/times/locations, or e-mail Zoe at jacob.zoe at gmail.com to get
straight onto the workshops mailing list.

There are plans to turn this into a series of monthly skills-sharing. So
far we're thinking: more pickling/preserving techniques, vegan
cheese-making, and craft workshops for eco-friendly plastic-free food
bags. If you have ideas of things you'd like to learn, or skills you
could share, Zoe'd love to hear from you!

*

After a year of talk about adding more shelving in the corner of the
shop, one of Fareshares oldest - not to say, elderly - regulars caught
wind of it and sorted us out without further ado. He refuses to be
photographed for this newsletter, indeed wants no publicity, but big
thanks are due to Billy. We probably are not going to paint your shevles
in Evertonian colours in your honour though, La. It may be a while
before we get around to painting them at all;-)

*

Myths & legends of how Fareshares started, back in the days when Pullens
was heavily squatted, usually come back to a free-spirited character
known simply as, 'Martin Oddsocks' or, as he was legally known in 2010,
OddsocksmcweirdoeltuttifruttiMrfartohellohippotamusbumIthinkwecanallliveincooperationasfreeindividualswithouthurtingourfellowsentientbeingsbutwewillhavetoworkonittheworldisforsharing.
<https://youtu.be/P7w1qmloaDo>

Fareshares Food Co-Op <https://www.facebook.com/FaresharesCoOp/>: Liked
by 550 on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/FaresharesCoOp/>! Join us!

Fareshares Food Coop