[g8-sheffield] more press, dissent festival, agenda for tomorrow

fabian fab at in-no.org
Tue Apr 12 19:14:36 BST 2005

Hello,
great to see that city of sheffield is so prepared to get our (considering
"us" as children and students) comments and participation in G8 meeting...

reporting briefly from the festival of dissent, I was a bit stunnded how
our proposal to hold a counterconference was welcomed by other Uk groups,
ending in one action groups anouncement to come to sheffield to hold one
of their meeting during our conference.
It is a group of people that specifically discuss Blairs Africs gambit,
e.g. they are analysing the africa commissions report and are aiming at
producing content (leaflets, a paper possibly) to counter-inform the
public about the realities of first world africa politics. As we could
read in the guardian today, labour is aiming at winning back middle class
votes by a special development agenda...
read it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpolitics/story/0,3605,1457500,00.html

there was also a very good piece of satire today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1457630,00.html

I also met more Sheffielders at the festival who are  joining our effords
to create a radical statement of dissent towards the ministers meeting in
Sheffield.

For tomorows meeting I would like to suggest following points for the agenda

1) report from dissent festival
2) layout of a timetable to the Sheffield G8 (including benefit gigs,
training sessions by trapese, schnews, clown army, open meeting with
sheffield groups, days of dissent in Sheffield)
3) 20th of april open meeting, location, flyer, invitations and
confirmations so far....
4) publicity for Sheffield G8 (webpage, posters, flyers)

See you tomorrow

Fabian

> Hi
>
> There were a couple today:
>
> - Springboard hope as city prepares to host summit
>   http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1084&ArticleID=995968
>
> - Chance to show off city to the world
>   http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=996224
>
> I guess the Council did a press release...
>
> These quotes are the best from The Star article:
>
>   Mr Kerslake said along with wooing the media, local
>   people would also be encouraged to get involved.
>
>   "We want to engage the city so it's not something which
>   is just happening and not really connecting with people.
>
>   "We are seeing if local children and students can be
>   part of it by showing us which issues they are
>   interested in. We want people in the city to feel part
>   of the event."

> Chris
>
> --
> Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World

_:/^/<>