[g8-sheffield] Demonstrate this Saturday 17th

stuart crosthwaite stuartqqqq at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 15:52:07 GMT 2005

    Demonstrate: Stop the Deportation of Iraqi Kurds - Iraq is Not Safe
  Saturday 17th December: Sheffield Peace Gardens 12 noon
  Organised by the Campaign Against the Detention and Deportation of Iraqis (CADDI)

  The situation for the 100's of Iraqi Kurds in Sheffield, without "leave to remain" is now critical.  Over the last 6 weeks over 200 have been evicted from their accommodation by order of the Home Office.  At the same time they have had all state support ended, leaving them destitute.

  The UK Home Office claims that it is safe for them to return to northern Iraq.
  Iraqi Kurds disagree.  So do the Foreign Office (which advises against "all but essential" travel to the area); the Refugee Council, the UNHCR and other European governments. But the Home Office - whose website boasts of a "12% increase in removals" (ie forced deportations) needs to meets targets and satisfy racist appetites and show that their war on Iraq has made it a safe place for Kurds.

  The first forcible deportation, from anywhere in Europe, of Iraqi Kurds took place on November 19th.  15 people were detained, handcuffed, beaten by security guards and dumped at Irbil airport in northern Iraq. One of them, Karwan told us "I was taken onto the plane like an animal, not a human".  3 men were immediately arrested by local police belonging to the Kurdish Democratic Party (KDP) who regarded the flight from the UK as a delivery of political opponents. We have not heard from any of these 3 men since.

  Karwan was kidnapped and deported by the Immigration Service when he was invited to attend an "interview" at Dallas Court Enforcement Centre in Bolton. There was no "interview". This experience has deterred many Iraqi Kurds from reporting monthly to police stations.  This means that they too lose any entitlement to accommodation or state support.

  Kurdish communities in northern England have resisted the threats of destitution, forced deportation and police harassment, despite the risk to themselves involved in making a protest. We should join them.

  Join the Sheffield protest on Saturday 17th Dec.

  Or, if you're in Manchester:
  SATURDAY 17TH DECEMBER AT 1.00pm
PEACE GARDENS, ST PETERS SQUARE MANCHESTER

COME AND JOIN US IN A DEMONSTRATION AND RALLY IN PROTEST AGAINST THE
FORCED
DEPORTATION OF IRAQI ASYLUM SEEKERS.

IRAQ IS NOT SAFE!

  FEDERATION OF IRAQI REFUGEES, MANCHESTER

  Join CADDI in Sheffield - we meet every Wednesday at 6.30pm in either the Norooz or Kurdistan Restaurants, both on Spital Hill, Burngreave (75,76 or 97 buses from city centre)