[g8-sheffield] UK Indymedia - Demonstration at Gleneagles today

imc-uk-tech at lists.indymedia.org imc-uk-tech at lists.indymedia.org
Mon Jul 18 20:15:01 BST 2005

indymedia.org.uk Email Forward

Demonstration at Gleneagles today

angelwings, 06.07.2005 22:28

The cops tried many tactics to stop us getting there, but in the end more than 5,000 demonstrated as close as we could to the permineter fence around the Gleneagles Hotel and the Hated Eight.

Actions in Edinburgh started early when activists attempted to blockade the Sheradon Hotel at 6am, where Japanese G8 delegates were staying.
Later, at 9.30am, several coaches were delayed in Edinburgh by police. We were told that the protest march in Gleneagles had been cancelled.
The reason - violence in the centre of Scotland, the march now constituted a public safety risk. We were given the option to get off the bus and go home.
After another hour and a sit down protest in the road by activists on another bus , we finally got going.
Police tactics were to delay us, it seemed, to diminish the power of the protest by having us arrive in dribs and drabs. Or not at all.
En route, we heard of a 2 hour successful blockade of the Edinburgh- Gleneagels Road; of people prevented from leaving Stirling rural convergence camp, then setting off to walk to Gleneagles (poor sods), and of frustration of those left behind in Edinburgh, denied access to coaches, despite having tickets.
We arrived in Auchterarder, the village closest to Gleneagles, 4 hours later, having taken detours due to roads closed or blockaded (we hoped).
 A surreal inflated barage balloon hovered above Gleneagals golf course and marked the spot. Here they are,the Big Boys, come and get them - it seemed to say. Actually, it was a sneaky heat seeking device.
Most of the windows of houses and shops in Auchterarder had Make Poverty History stickers and locals smiled and waved. It was a relief.
 We seemed like invading armies, us and the police , into their quiet community. But elderly ladies on posh patios raised a glass to us, and children giggled at the Clown Army, who kept us entertained.
Sugar and Spice, the famous cake shop was selling G8 Pie, made of mince 'because they talk it' and Dumplings 'because they are'. We bought some.
The Gleneagals Hotel was surrounded by a 5 mile perimiter fence. We could not see the hotel and were kept away from the fence except at one point, when the march turned a corner on a narrow rural road and we had to progress slowly in two and threes. The police were mob-handed.
Tensions grew - some protesters breached the fence at this point, and threw it at police who instantly responded, calling up more riot cops and swinging out with their coshes.
Organisers urged us on through the bottle neck:'This is a peaceful demonstration, come on, keep moving, the eyes of the world are on us, you're doing great'. I felt like I were giving birth.
Protestors dashed out on to the field and tried to reach the fence on the other side , but were forced back by cops on horse back and riot cops.
Over head, Chinook helicptors whirred , flew close, and landed, dicharging cop reinforcements like ugly grey insects.
We walked on, flanked by masked riot cops.

Source of this emailed article:
http://publish.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/07/316896.html

Attached comment from angelwings:
Number two.