[g8-sheffield] G8 summit

Olly Bootle olly.bootle at bbc.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 18:09:13 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm currrently looking into making a TV documentary for BBC4 about the
anti-G8 movement that's heading to Gleneagles in July. The documentary
would basically offer a chance to explore the state of the left in the
UK today, in a way that can get behind the sensationalist media
headlines which are typically all we ever here about from mass protests.

Ideally what I'd like to do is follow about 3 characters, from a few
different movements, before and during the protest. At the moment I'm
just trying to talk to as many people who are heading up there as
possible, so that I can get a sense of which groups it would be best to
follow - in order to get the best balance and coverage of the whole left
spectrum.
I can understand why, particularly after items like the recent Sunday
Times article, many anti-establishment groups will distrust the media.
But that's why I'd like to do a 60 minute documentary for BBC4 (which
aims to be the BBC's high-brow, completely un-sensationalist channel)
which will have enough time to get to the heart of the movement, what
it's about, what its aims and ideals are.
I'd be really grateful if you could get back to me with a number where I
could call you, just so we could have a chat about your plans for
Scotland.
When it comes to identifying characters to be on camera, obviously the
most likely suspects would be fairly outgoing people who are up for
sharing their group's philosophy with a wider audience, so if there's
anyone within your group who immediately springs to mind, I'd love to
hear about them.
I hope to hear from you as soon as possible,
Olly

Olly Bootle
BBC Current Affairs
+ 44 (0)20 8752 5117