[g8-sheffield] Thoughts from an American friend on the g8 protest

Kathleen Holliday noworris at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 22:09:16 BST 2005

Hiya evryone, this is a part of a mail from a friend in the US after I asked for his opinion

One thing I think may stick in some folks minds is stating that war causes poverty. uh uh. Capitalists believe war causes the economy to grow, at least for the victors! WWII is given credit for putting the American economy back on it's feet after the "great depression". Doesn't look like war did too much for Iraq. Or East Germany. But, you know what- -people that believe in Peace don't need convincing and the people who don't, are too emotionally immature to benefit by preaching. That's something I am noticing more frequently-the emotional maturity level of various adults. Just because they are "grown up" doesn't mean they have evolved emotionally at all. We have men attacking nations and killing hundreds of thousands of people over some idealism or philosophy. They need to eat the right materials and listen to some holy sounds! We have nations of "adult" women strutting it to the max, regardless of who they hurt or destroy with their obsession with cosmetics-all stuff they should have grown out of at 18 years old. So, on a national & international level we have a planet of folks who would rather remain in their mental diapers, not having to worry about the mess they make. This keeps the world in the animal realm, not being able to evolve into the planet of peaceful enjoyment that some of us can envision. Weird, weird! So, yeah, I agree with you about the big shots getting together to pretend their domination will "better" the world. But, I guess all we can really do is set examples on an individual scale. Maybe that's why John Lennon could only say "Imagine"...