[g8-sheffield] More crap from the Sheffield Star...

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 23:00:38 BST 2005

Reading between the lines though you can see some of what they're
going to be discussing....

steve

Eyes of world on Sheffield for G8's key talks

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=1053192

HOME Secretary Charles Clarke today said the G8 Summit in Sheffield
was a unique opportunity to show the world what the city has to offer.

Mr Clarke will be joined in Sheffield by Home Office and justice
ministers from the world's top eight industrial countries for the
conference from Wednesday to Friday.

The summit, held in Nether Edge and the city centre, will face
protests from campaigners opposed to the war in Iraq and cause some
traffic disruption with road closures.

But the Home Secretary said the meeting gave Sheffield a unique
"opportunity to showcase the city to a global audience".
And he stressed the summit was also a chance to make a real difference
on issues such as drug trafficking - important to the lives of people
in Sheffield and the UK.

Mr Clarke said: "Today, problems such as organised crime, drugs,
people trafficking and terrorism often have their roots in our
interconnected world. What we might think of as local issues, are
often the result of global problems. For example, the heroin grown in
the fields of Afghanistan ends up on our streets - sold to addicts who
have to commit numerous crimes to pay for their next fix.
"Or the organised criminal gangs who smuggle cigarettes or sell fake
DVDs, avoid paying tax and deprive the nation of funds which could be
spent in cities such as Sheffield on schools, hospitals and police.
"And no-one should think international crime only happens in other
cities.

"In March three people were convicted at Sheffield Crown Court for
trafficking a 15-year-old Lithuanian girl for sexual exploitation.
"The girl had been sold and re-sold several times and forced to work
in brothels across the country - it's this sort of human misery that
adds urgency to the work of the G8. But just as our shrinking world is
often part of the problem, I believe it can also be part of the
solution.

"G8 meetings are not mere talking shops, or jollies for politicians to
fly around the world. Only by working with other countries on issues
that cross borders will we be able to solve them. This is the purpose
of the G8 meeting and I'm determined to get the most out of it for the
UK."

Mr Clarke said that bringing together justice and interior ministers
from the world's eight most powerful nations would help governments
tackle the issues - and make a difference for people across the
country.

He added: "For example, the G8 are backing action in Afghanistan to
stem the tide of heroin; action that will have a direct impact on the
UK's streets. The G8 is also fighting internet crime, particularly the
despicable trade in child pornography.

"It would be impossible for Britain alone to tackle this type of crime
because of the global nature of the internet, but by working we can
have a huge impact.

"And on terrorism - which affects us all - tighter airport security
and better rules on sharing intelligence on suspects have been agreed
by the G8 countries.

"Of course, there is more to do and I will be leading discussions on
all of these issues at the Sheffield meeting and I hope we can
continue to make progress.

"And while there are benefits for Britain, there are also immediate
bonuses for Sheffield.

"It's a chance for the city to shine in front of a world audience -
media from across the globe will have their cameras trained on the
city. I hope the inconveniences of the meeting will be balanced by
continued interest in the city from tourists and investors.
"Sheffield should be proud that it is hosting this prestigious event.
It's an opportunity for the city to promote itself and make a
difference to Britain."

Independent grassroots news: www.sheffield.indymedia.org.uk