[g8-sheffield] Next Stop Gleneagles

Helen and Nick slendermeans1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 21:21:33 BST 2005

This is also to go up on the g8 sheffield frontpage of
the website.

No Rest for the Wicked - Next Stop Gleneagles

Now the G8 Ministerial meeting is over in Sheffield
talk is turning to sorting ourselves out for the G8
summit in Gleneagles, Scotland. Some people involved
in the Sheffield Against the G8 network are planning
to hook up in Scotland. The plan so far is to be
largely based at the rural convergence site organised
by the Dissent Network.

This rural convergence site will consist of small
'villages' or 'neighbourhoods' with each one based
around a kitchen capable of feeding a hundred (or many
more) people. This village structure will be an
integral part of the consensus decision making process
on the site. Neighbourhoods can have a particular
theme and some are based on geography - for example
Manchester and Leeds. Our aim is to have a South
Yorkshire neighbourhood, most likely in conjunction
with another area so we can pool kitchen resources and
the like. We think this might be a really cool thing
to do, so that people travelling to Scotland have the
opportunity to meet up and 'work' with other people
from South Yorkshire, and create the possibility of
building alliances in the region for the future. There
will be a dedicated phone for the Sheffield
Neighbourhood. To contact us while in Scotland call
07913779976.

Transport is everyone's shared headache. We are
considering trying to see if we can afford to hire one
or more minibuses to go up to Scotland, most likely
for the full week of actions covering 2-8 July at
least. If you are interested in possibility of getting
a minibus together with others from Sheffield email
the list with "TRANSPORT SCOTLAND" giving the dates
you would ideally want to go, so we can gauge interest
- no promises though!!!!