[g8-sheffield] Re: the right of unlawful protest

adriana hjdsmdr at mixmail.com
Sat Jun 25 21:53:10 BST 2005

Dear John Smith,
if you wish we may continue this conversation at the new Matilda list.
Of course I agree with your first paragraphs: they are approximately the
same foundations as mine for stating the unlawful right to protest and
the illegal right to dissent. But here you are confused and confusing:

>  It also follows that our obedience to,
>> or resistance to, what the police chiefs consider to be 'the law' is a
>> tactical question, not a principle to be elevated above all else.
>>
>> This is the political way to approach this question. We cannot get very far
>> if we instead regard 'rights' as absolute, abstract, existing for all time
>> and all places. Where did they come from - God????

Rights of course not granted by God, who assigned kings and your Queen
of England as well; but: it also follows that our obedience to the
police chiefs, regarded as a tactical question, should not include our
semantic approach to rights. And yes a political way is compatible with
a semantic and literary way, contrary to this and prior government's
education policies which have removed all study but for pragmatic,
so-called scientific and technological branches.
>  but I would just note that they (Stop the war coalition) publically denounced the oppressive
>> restrictions placed on their legal protests, and acquiesced to these
>> restrictions under protest. What they did was no different to what the G8
>> group decided to do, when a meeting unanimously assigned myself and Jillian
>> Creasey to try to negotiate with the police a route for a legal
>> demonstration on the first day of the criminals' visit.

No, they didn't, as far as i know only the Green party and this anti-G8
group denounced the "oppressive restrictions". Anyway, it would be
interesting to have a journal or a report written of those negotiations
you just mentioned above, and make them public to the other protesters
(this list included of course) so we may get to know which were these
limitations you had to acquiesce with in the first place.
> To the extent that we go down the road advised by Adriana
>> and others, we will succeed only in deepening our isolation, aggravating
>> still further our disunity,

What road am i advising, "adriana and others"?
All i am asking for is some light on these secret negotiations.

--
"Porque o único sentido oculto das cousas
   É elas não terem sentido oculto nenhum" (A. Caeiro)

http://www.sheffield.dissent.org.uk/
http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/G8