[g8-sheffield] SWPie

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Jun 30 00:24:03 BST 2005

Hmm,

The SWP is a difficult issue for me.  It's perhaps best out in the open:
I still hold the SWP responsible for undermining the local social forum
movement in the UK.  In the run-up to the (SWP-dominated) European
Social Forum in the UK, the SWP (having previously decided not to work
with local social forums) set up their own network, called 'UK ESF
mobilising committees' rather than contact and work with existing local
social forums - even though, for example, I personally wrote to SWP
members, including Alex Callinicos, asking him to make contact with us.
Neither did the ESF support space for local social forums to organise -
we had to sort that out ourselves, even though we'd tried to arrange it.

The result was a lot of local confusion.  I still don't really
understand what the reasoning behind all that was.  There are all the
cliches about 'the SWP not being able to control the social forums', but
given what we've been hearing about SWP members being free to act, that
seems a little wierd.  I find it hard to believe that the caricatures
are true.

I would, now at least, like to believe we could move forward - but I
confess I'm nervous.  I am still working to try and get the Sheffield
Social Forum going again, but the whole ESF shebang knocked it for six a
bit.  A quick search on  the internet reveals that this has happened
before with the SWP, and that seems a shame.  I'm wondering whether I'm
suffering from an awful prejudice and - as Ian says - would be willing
to talk about it.

The best idea seems to actually work on an event together, rather than
debate on a list.  By their fruits shall ye know them, after all.  If we
in Sheffield could accomplish a broad-based event - of any kind - it
could be a big step forward.  Been to a meeting tonight, and it reminded
me of how easy it is to slip into negativity when talking is all that's
going on.

The optimism of the action is better than the pessimism of the thought,
after all.  What say you, Ian?  I know that the regional organiser lives
next door to a good friend of mine.  Maybe I should pop round for a cup
of tea...?  Bearing in mind that, at the first sight of anyone trying to
control the agenda or pack a meeting, I'd scream blue murder...!

love n peace n hippy nonsense

Dan