[g8-sheffield] Don't forget, meeting tonight

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:03:38 GMT 2005

G8-Sheffield 7.30pm, Rutland Arms, Brown Lane, Wednesday 16th March 2005

Please can comeone try to bring a map of Sheffield for reference.

AGENDA:

Start 7.30pm

Apologies: Hope Valley Peace Group, Keith Richards, Chris Malins, SheffJeff

0) Minutes of the last meeting, to agree. Agree facilitator for meeting
(Amp), and appoint at least one minute taker.

1) To agree a specific statement of non-violence. "The Sheffield G8
group stands in opposition to the inhuman actions
carried out in our names by the G8 governments. We set ourselves
against the open violence of war or the hidden violence of destroying
civil liberties and enforced poverty. We will support in any way we can,
any action, by any group, about and against the G8, as long as this is
done in a spirit of non-violence to achieve aims consistent with our
philosophy."

2) Suggestion of venues for a convergence centre. Note that New Roots
Spital hill has been offered, with suggestion of local accommodation. It
seems to be generally agreed that providing a social and indymedia
convergence centre at the time of the G8 meeting is an excellent way for
local people to support other campaiging groups. With this in mind,
please come armed with suggested venues, considering: legality, size,
availablity of power, internet and cooking facilities. From this
meeting, I hope to action point someone to put the wheels in motion, and
take serious steps towards having such a facility booked.

3) Ideas for a street party. More ideas, and crystallisation of key
ideas and aims for a street party/protest event. Again, consideration of
possible locations, but also of the degree of flexibility we want.

4)Amp to feed back on legal support issues. Do we need a space/house to
offer as a legal support centre for attendees. Bear in mind that legal
support may go beyond the length of the conference. Can/should we
arrange training etc?

5) Other support for attendees. Accommodation etc. Providing central
access to key information via the internet (SSF wiki/ G8-Sheffield
homepage, as and when it is activated?).

6) Plans of other groups. If anyone can report back about any published
plans/ideas from other organisations, it will give us a much better idea
of who we should look to contact, what support groups might appreciate
and how we can join our efforts. Could include things like Critical Mass.

7) Time and place for next meeting. Accessible venue for these meetings.
Is pub venue an issue, do we have any suggestions? Related business.

8) Any other business.

To finish by 9.15pm

This meeting should look to generate action points to be taken away, and
volunteers to action them. I would suggest a further meeting in ~ 3
weeks time.