[g8-sheffield] Terror n torture

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Mon Mar 21 10:25:56 GMT 2005

The police expenditure isn't just for our sakes.  Not a good line of
argument.  It's to counter the terrorist threat.

Which is something we should perhaps also discuss.  Regardless of
everything else going on in the world (f**ked up war, a network of
torture and interrogation, the criminalisation of Islam, the state
scaring the hell out of its people in order to get more power, etc...) -
it remains the fact that there *is* actually a terrorist threat - or to
put it a different way, some people do think it's a good idea to try and
blow other people up to get their way.

We can argue all we like about 'yeah, but they're terrorists too!'
Nevertheless, the threat exists.  That's what they're mainly policing,
not us.

Is G8 Sheffield against both?  If so, we need to be clear on that, and
that the current terrorist threat is worse because of the actions of our
government.  And that as long as these states carry on polarising and
terrorising whole communities, the threat can only get worse.

How could any Muslim read about that Canadian guy finding himself being
tortured in Syria for a year (after having been named by someone who'd
been tortured - who'd also been named by someone under torture...) and
then acquiese as Hazel Blears suggests Muslims must accept they will be
targetted more in stop and search?

Dan