[g8-sheffield] nobn violence statement etc

Alison Higgins alison.higgins1 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 21 19:12:10 GMT 2005

Hi all
To get it out the way first - I'm not paid by anyone apart from North
Derbyshire Women's Aid the organisation I work for!
Re. non violence statement - there were heated and varied views
expressed at the meeting. In a nutshell I have a problem with the
statement as I don't think the following sentence does allow room for
self defence 'However, we will not involve ourselves in any use of
violence for any purpose', and it's not just me, or the one other
comrade from workers power at last weeks meeting, as was clear at the
meeting and on this list. I also think it is not true that by putting
out the statement the press will not vilify us or the police attack us.
I'm not an advocate of violence for the sake of violence but I do think
it is my right to fight back if attacked, or if my fellow protesters are
attacked. I know others feel differently and I respect their views but
do we need to adopt a statement that is divisive?
Alison