[g8-sheffield] SHEFFIELD STOP THE WAR COALITION UPDATE 12/05/05

worldwarfree at riseup.net worldwarfree at riseup.net
Thu May 12 18:42:58 BST 2005

1/ Demonstrate for Peace & Justice, June 11 - G8 Justice & Interior
Ministers meeting

2/ Rally for Peace & Justice June 2nd, 7.30pm Hilton Hotel, Sheffield

3/ Make Poverty History and G8 Alternatives

4/ Free Palestine Demonstration Sat 21st May

5/ Next Sheffield Stop the War meeting 19/05/2005
1/ Demonstrate for Peace & Justice, June 11 - G8 Justice & Interior
Ministers meeting

Yesterday's meeting of Sheffield Stop the War Coalition was mostly spent
discussing our plans for mobilising the broadest possible demonstration for
Peace & Justice. We now know that the visit from the G8 ministers, who are
collectively the loudest cheerleaders of the 'war on terror', will cause
massive disruption to Sheffield.

Plans to secure the ministers and ensure their complete comfort and luxury
include shutting down the city centre during the evenings on the week of the
15/16/17 June, re-directing buses along different routes and who knows what
other inconvenience to the residents of Sheffield who were in no way
consulted, let alone the massive costs to the taxpayer.

The demonstration on June 11th, the Saturday before the G8 ministers and
their security entourage descend on Sheffield is perfectly timed to show our
unity in opposition to the attacks on our civil liberties - ID cards,
control orders, anti-terrorist legislation etc - and also our anger at the
undemocratic way this conference has been landed on our doorstep.

The demonstration assembles 10.30am Devonshire Green and will set off at 11,
marching through Sheffield city centre to Cemetery Park where we will start
off this years Peace in the Park Festival with a bang!! For more info on
Peace in the Park, visit www.peaceinthepark2005.co.uk or contact Alex on
07890-562-101.

Great publicity for the demo has been produced - 10,000 leaflets available
for distribution around local networks. Please contact Lucinda (chair of
Sheffield STWC) on 07761-471-441. We are asking local groups for donations
of 10 pounds per 250 leaflets to contribute to the cost of printing.

PEACE & JUSTICE STALL - SAT 28TH MAY 12-2 OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL
All supporters of the demonstration are invited to publicise the event to
the people of Sheffield (with special guest appearances from George Bush and
Tony Blair!!)

PETITION - G8 NOT WELCOME HERE which will be submitted to
Sheffield City Council on the 1st of June at the next full council meeting.
Many people in Sheffield will be very angry at this event and the disruption
it will cause, particularly in Nether Edge, where the G8 ministers expect to
have a delightful stay.

If you require a copy of the pettion please reply to this email and I will send
you one individually as the file is too large to send to a large number of
people.

If you are interested in petitiong door-to-door in Nether Edge, or in
planning local protests please contact Ian Wallace/Nether Edge Against War -
0114 2583641.

All completed petitions need to be sent to the address at the bottom of
petition - Sheffield Stop the War Coalition, PO Box 1020, Chapel Lane,
Darnall, Sheffield S9, as soon as possible.

Please circulate the petition on your e-mail lists.

2/ Rally for Peace & Justice June 2nd, 7.30pm Hilton Hotel, Sheffield

Stop Political Terror will be providing a speaker for the rally, and we also
hope that Mrs Ahmad - the wife of Babar Ahmad currently held in Belmarsh
prison which charge or trial, awaiting extradition to America under
anti-terrorism legislation - will be able to attend.
More information and publicity to follow.

3/ Make Poverty History and G8 Alternatives

Sheffield Stop the War Coalition has booked a coach to take people to the
Make Poverty History demonstration in Edinburgh Sat July 2nd. Transport from
Sheffield to this historic demo has been selling out at a breathtaking
speed, so don't miss your opportunity to be part of a delegation saying
'DROP DEBT NOT BOMBS' to Bush, Blair and the other crooks and warmongers at
the G8!!

The coach will leave on Friday evening, staying to attend the G8
alternatives conference on Sunday in Edinburg featuring George Monbiot,
Scott Ritter and many more. We will then be back in Sheffield by around
10pm. Tickets are a bargain at 35 pounds return. Again, contact
07761-471-441 for more details/to book up.

4/ Free Palestine Demonstration Sat 21st May

Stop the War are encouraging all those able to attend the Free Palestine -
End the Israeli occupation demonstration to contact Sheffield Palestine
Solidarity Campaign who are organising transport. Visit
www.sheffieldpsc.org.uk or e-mail enquiries at sheffieldpsc.org.uk

5/ Next Sheffield Stop the War meeting 19/05/2005

7.30pm Rm 46 Victoria Hall, Thursday 19th May. All welcome to organise the
mobilsation for the G8 summit.

If you are interested in getting involved in any of the above please get in
touch. And, as always if you would like any anti-war events advertised on
this list, send us the details!

All for now,
Angela Shann
on behalf of Sheffield Stop the War Coalition