[g8-sheffield] Final version of statement

John Smith johncsmith at btinternet.com
Thu May 26 22:50:43 BST 2005

G8 summit: Sheffield people denounce suppression of the right to protest.

On June 15-17, the ‘Justice and Home affairs ministers’ the G-8, the world's
seven richest nations and Russia, will gather in Sheffield to discuss the
home front in the 'war against terrorism'.

The police have invoked special powers to prevent protests, informing
protest organisers that no marches or gatherings of any size will be allowed
in the city centre during the summit. Any such protests will be met with
force and arrests. Under the pretext of “security” the police are attempting
to marginalize protests by confining protestors to a pen on Devonshire
Green.

Sheffield Against G-8 proposed a march on the afternoon of the 15th  June,
to lead away from the town centre before their evening event. Sheffield Stop
the War Coalition proposed a static picket on the evening of 15th and 16th
of June. These protests have been flatly prohibited.

Whatever one’s opinion of the G-8 summit, we urge Sheffield people to oppose
restrictions on the right to protest and to the imposition of what amounts
to martial law over the centre of our City.

We, the undersigned, believe that the blanket ban on peaceful protests in
our city centre during the G-8 summit is an outrageous and unacceptable
infringement of our democratic right to protest. We call on all citizens,
organisations and elected representatives in Sheffield to press for this
repressive decision to be reversed.

Signed,

What you can do:

1.	Send a message by email to HYPERLINK
"mailto:Jillian.Creasy at Sheffield.gov.uk"Jillian.Creasy at Sheffield.gov.uk
confirming that you support the statement (or print off and send a hard copy
to Cllr Jillian Creasy, Town Hall, Pinstone St, Sheffield, S1 2HH). I will
send the statement as a letter and press release to The Star and the
Sheffield Telegraph on the evening of Tuesday 31st May.

2.	Forward / pass this on to your friends and neighbours.

3.	Join the march for Peace and Justice organised by Sheffield Stop the
War Coalition on Saturday 11th June – assemble 10.30am, Devonshire Green,
march to Peace in the Park Festival, Cemetery Road.