[g8-sheffield] Good and bad protesters

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon May 30 22:19:18 BST 2005

J> hmmm, that story appears to have serious innaccuracies in it, i
J> question its claims. The bands are made from fair trade cotton as
J> far as i know and not rubber. Correct me if i am wrong.

A couple bits maybe clarify the situation...

"Oxfam failed to tell other charities that it had decided to stop
ordering from the Shenzhen company." ie. there are now at least 2
different sources for the bands. Maybe some are made from rubber some
some from cotton?

AND...

"it sourced 1.5 million of the bands - made from silicon rubber or
woven fabric - from the Fujian factory" . i.e. They do appear to be
making both.

I'm actually amazed and appalled they're having them made in China
anyway. Why weren't they made in this country which would save the
transport cost and pollution from bringing them half way around the
world?

The whole thing seems like a farce. It does make me feel that the
whole thing is more of an exercise in Making Guilt History rather than
making poverty history. (though with these revelations they may have
failed on that already)

steve