[g8-sheffield] Make justice history

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue May 31 01:24:21 BST 2005

Hey!

Just got a great idea from George Monbiot. From his article in this
morning's Guardian (which I get helicoptered in specially before they
hit the shops...)

"Yet again the British government is outsourcing its ethics, using the
policy of an international body to make justice history."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1495676,00.html

We've gotta use 'make justice history' somewhere! E.g. -

On June 15-17 the ‘Justice and Home affairs’ ministers of the G8, the
world’s seven richest nations and Russia, will gather in Sheffield to
discuss how best to make justice history.

They are building of a global terror network, they are outsourcing
torture... etc.

p.s. I don't want to bring the state down! I think some people in our
highest courts have been doing stirling work in defending our rights. An
example:

"Security is no justification for the breach of the fundamental
principles which underpin our democratic system. No deprivation of
liberty by ministerial say so, no midnight secret knock on the door, no
gulags whether in Siberia or in Guantanamo."
Lord Thomas, Liberal Democrat, former High Court judge.

Dan