[hackspacebristol] Lunchtime Talk Tomorrow: Artificial Social Intelligence - Safely Interacting with Robots by Chris Melhuish

Dan Williams dan at pmstudio.co.uk
Thu May 19 15:33:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

Thought this talk we're having at Pervasive Media Studio tomorrow lunchtime may be of interest. All welcome, full details below.

Cheers,
Dan

----

Lunchtime Talk: Artificial Social Intelligence - Safely Interacting with Robots by Chris Melhuish
Friday, 20 May 2011 1:00pm - 2:00pm

Physical interactions with robots as our helpers or co-workers require new strategies in order to make our contact with them safe and intuitive. Current research is beginning to look at new approaches to Artificial Intelligence and aims to embed it in our smart artefacts. Furthermore, advances in new materials will be incorporated into new machines and these are likely to require different, possibly more biological, means of controlling them.

In his Lunchtime Talk, Chris Melhuish talks about some of the work undertaken at theBristol Robotics Laboratory, which is starting to address these issues.