[hackspacebristol] Ferrofluid

Merlin . mmmerlin at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 12:03:23 UTC 2011

Yes, I've been fantasising about making some ferro-fluid sculptures for a while now. From what I've read, it seems to be that you can indeed buy ferro-fluid much cheaper than $1/ml but that the cheaper stuff, whilst it does respond to magnetic fields, it doesn't make the beautiful spikes etc that you think of when someone says ferro-fluid - that stuff is the $1000/litre stuff. However, this certainly doesn't mean that it shouldn't be tried!

The cornflour and water speaker thing was indeed knocked-up very quickly and will be done with a lot more scientific method next time! As well as a better flour/water ratio I will make a speaker cone designed to be able to hold the mixture directly and thus remove the vibration damping that the plastic bag provided. Hopefully this should mean that we will able to work out which amplitudes and frequencies get which of the many cool effects that can be got with setup.

As for the boiling off of ammonia, it certainly does sounds both a lot easier and more sensible to do it outside on a hotplate that to build a fume cupboard!

Anyway, looking forward to coming back on Thursday, see you all there.

Merlin