[hackspacebristol] Quadracopter fans:

Doug Smith bigdougsmith at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:43:37 UTC 2011

http://www.suasnews.com/2011/11/9691/german-multicopter-makes-first-manned-flight/

>> Am I counting this right: 16 rotors?  Four groups of four?
>>
> I saw that as very reassuring redundancy, myself.

Not with that arrangement.

All the motors & props appear to lie in the same plane, so one bit of
debris or a failed prop is almost certain to hit another and break it
resulting in a cascade of failures. Imagine the chaos a single badly
tightened motor mount nut would cause.

It is a fabulously cool achievement, right up to the point where they stuck
a person on it. Then a whole bunch of other issues come into play.

Cheers,

Doug.