[hackspacebristol] Microscopes (and other lab equipment)

John Honniball coredump at gifford.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 20:38:23 UTC 2011

David Wyatt wrote:
> In case anyone's still interested in microscopes, Hilditch Auctioneers
> in Malmesbury handles a lot of ex-hospital lab equipment - and the
> latest auction includes several microscopes:
>
> http://www.hilditchauctions.co.uk/lot_listing.lasso?-Token.Action=View_Sale&Sales::ID=1000661&-Token.Reset_Scroll=1

Thanks for posting this! Now, I haven't looked at every microscope
in detail, but they look like binocular transmission microscopes.
That is, they produce a 2D image of a specimen that is mounted
in a slide, by passing light through it from below.  What we need
for soldering is a 3D image of an object by reflected light
from above (i.e. two objectives as well as two eyepieces). We
also need a comparatively low magnification of 20x, and a wide
field of view. Such a microscope is called a "dissecting
microscope", in the biological context.

--
John Honniball
coredump at gifford.co.uk