[hackspacebristol] 3D scanner for the hackspace

Ian Stratford ginjaian at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 19:58:55 UTC 2013

Hi Arthur

Sorry to hear about your arm - I survived my week in Val d'Isere, returning
intact; perhaps you should switch to skiing?!

That looks like a pretty good mesh. However, I've been producing similar
results for the past year using a Kinect 360 and a MacBook Pro (GT330 gpu,
running Windows 7) using Reconstructme ( http://reconstructme.net/ ). I
don't get what is so fantastic about Kinect Fusion - they seem late to the
party?

I have good experience using Meshlab to combine scans, and remeshing too.

For those talking about lazy Susans etc, the Kinect scans volumes, so the
best scans happen when the background moves with the object being scanned.
This aids the reconstruction, as the whole volume is used to register
additional information. So, having the object being scanned moving against
a static background doesn't work so well. At least, this is the way it
works with reconstructme

Ian