[hackspacebristol] How should we use the new space we have ?

John Honniball coredump at gifford.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 13:23:40 UTC 2013

David Stewart wrote:
> planning is this the time to have a look at how we use all of the space
> we have and come up with a better layout ?

I have a spare old Compaq laptop with parallel port that could be
used with the big plotter, if that's going to be set up in the
new space. Or we could use a desktop machine. I'll be making up
some pens for it, too (maybe after the Maker Faire).

> I'd really like some workstations set up  - each with an iron, some
> tools, meter etc.

I think this is a splendid idea! In electronics labs that I've seen,
it's usual to have groups of test gear such as a power supply, meter,
scope, and signal generator that make up a sort of "test workstation".
Other workstation setups could be made for SMD soldering, through
hole soldering, microcontroller programming, and so on.

BTW, as for SMD soldering, I have a few ideas here for ways to improve
the setup. One is to make a hold-down tool for SMD parts, and a better
way to hold things flat under the microscope.

--
John Honniball