[hackspacebristol] Contact: Laser Cutter

Doug Smith bigdougsmith at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 14 10:46:49 UTC 2013

I've laser cut mirrored acrylic with no problems.

I made a kaleidoscope using this stuff...
http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/mirrored-sheeting/acrylic-mirror-sheet.html

As I recall it's just under 3mm thick, has a matte grey plasticy finish on
the non mirrored side. I used the settings I normally use for 4mm glodex
acrylic shed glass. It worked well.

I didn't stare into the laser when cutting, but then I generally avoid
doing that anyhow ;)

[image: Inline images 1]

This uses a 30 degree taper to make the reflection plane curve back on
itself to form a sphere and a cashpoint advice slip as a translucent object
of interest. The shooting rays are artifacts from the edges of the mirrors.

Cheers,

Doug.