[hackspacebristol] Contact: Laser Cutter

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 11:03:01 UTC 2013

matthew venn wrote:

before using the laser cutter, you have to be inducted. That takes care of
the H&S.

Necessary but not sufficient. In some of my other activities I could kill
or injure myself, or worse others. People being people, in such an
environment it has been found to be *necessary* to:

   1. have key safety notice reminders at the "point of delivery" (as well
   as in the full SOP manual, of course)
   2. have regular "safety refreshers", typically annually

Whereas (2) might well be overkill in this situation, (1) is more arguable.
In such cases it is prudent to take *simple easy* precautions.

Many times I've seen people do things they *think* they are OK to do
(through ignorance, not stupidity nor malice), but they actually aren't --
and they could have got themselves/others in serious danger.

 Metal and mirrors are out. Mirrored acrylic is OK.

Good.