[hackspacebristol] Contact: Laser Cutter

adam armfield adamairmailed at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 19:49:46 UTC 2013

i think theres already a list on ours.

All the best

Adam

________________________________
 From: Barney Livingston <barney at barnoid.org.uk>
To: Bristol UK Hackspace <hackspacebristol at lists.aktivix.org>
Sent: Sunday, 14 April 2013, 20:43
Subject: Re: [hackspacebristol] Contact: Laser Cutter

On Sunday 14 Apr 2013 16:22:18 Tom Gardner wrote:
> Dominic Morrow wrote:
>
> > The window in the top of the laser is more than adequate for defusing the
> > very week and focused beam of our 40w laser.
>
> If you can see an image through the window then the window is demonstrably *
> not* diffusing light!

I was under the impression that the lid of the laser cutter is opaque to the
infrared light of the laser beam. I very much hope that's true given the
amount of time I've spent staring at laser cutters working.

As for the original idea of a list of laser cuttable materials displayed
somewhere near the laser, I think it's a good idea. Perhaps a few reminder
points on safe laser operation as well. Also a big sign saying "NOT FOR USE BY
PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN INDUCTED (INDUCED?)" And similar signs on the lathes,
CNC, etc.

Brighton keep a list of people who have had laser training on their wiki.
Maybe we should do the same?

Barney