[hackspacebristol] Project night

Michelle Michelle at flaminglotus.com
Sun Apr 28 16:04:04 UTC 2013

I'm going to do another selection to send out sometime in the week.  Thanks
for the offers and I'm looking forward to working with those that offered.
 They do take time to get of the ground.  Maybe I will hit the mark with
the next set of ideas.   I am keen for the item to be something of general
interest / use and not just because I want to make it.

Doug, if you could find an instructable you like to match your ideas that
would be brilliant.

Michelle

On 26 April 2013 09:53, Patrick Neave <patrick at neavey.net> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On 25 April 2013 22:53, Doug Smith <bigdougsmith at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree.
>>
>> I think there are a couple of different types of people. I think there
>> are those who have a degree of confidence and competence and learn under
>> their own steam and those who prefer to be taught in a more structured way.
>>
>> Anyhow, one idea I had kicking around was to aim something at people who
>> want to learn in order to do stuff rather than learning in a theoretical
>> way. Kinda like design patterns. Simple recipes that give a good result,
>> aimed at people with ideas.
>>
>> Call it, "Electronics for Artists".
>>
>> Devote a session a week to exploring several approaches to a single
>> topic, for instance,
>>
>> POWER (Batteries, Wall Wart PSUs, Solar, Clockwork dynamo, etc)
>>
>> LIGHT (LEDs, Incandescents, Strings of lights, flashers, etc)
>>
>> MOTION (Motors, Servos, Solenoids, Steppers, etc)
>>
>> SOUND (Bells, Buzzers, MP3 Players, etc)
>>
>> SENSING (Switches, distance, temperature, ad infinitum)
>>
>> INTERACTION (555 Feedback loops, Arduino, RasPi, etc)
>>
>> The idea being to have one session to explore some canned
>> projects/recipes and another session where the attendee builds something
>> useful and relevant to them. Maybe a group project or exhibition at the end.
>>
>> The idea not being to go into theory, but to just give people enough
>> knowledge to be dangerous/ambitious and enough confidence to have a go and
>> start learning.
>>
>> I imagine breadboards, lots of Fritzing diagrams, that sort of thing.
>>

>> On 25 April 2013 22:26, Helen Featherstone <
>> featherstone.helen at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey up! I thought there were some positive responses...
>>>
>>> I was wondering if something like these project nights might be useful
>>> at drawing in new members, rather than catering for existing ones? I can
>>> see some folk might be tempted to take a "short course" by making something
>>> over a 2/3 weeks. Once folk have been to the space a few times they might
>>> join? Similar concept to Mitch's workshops I guess.
>>>
>>> On a related note: I also thought that it might worth having specific
>>> evenings where folk are invited to come, see the space and equipment and
>>> meet a few folk. I've lost count of the number of times I've mentioned the
>>> hackspace to people and they've sounded interested but I bet they haven't
>>> turned up.
>>>
>>> I know there's Thursdays but they can be pretty intimidating to come to
>>> if you've never been before. If you know you could come down with
>>> like-minded folk to a slightly quieter event where people will take the
>>> time to show you around, it might be a bit more appealing??
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to do a bit of marketing to folk and invite people along if
>>> we thought some kind of 'show and tell' / 'open house' might be worth it.
>>> for example, I could see there being interest amongst the craft community,
>>> the folks at the museum/at-b/ss GB, librarians, puppeteers...

* *
**