[hackspacebristol] project night/general

Alaric Snell-Pym alaric at snell-pym.org.uk
Tue Apr 30 10:08:07 UTC 2013

On 04/28/2013 10:34 PM, Ben Hamilton wrote:

> Regarding Helen's message… as a new member I must admit that I found
> my recent first attendance to the Thursday night session a little
> daunting… Arriving alone, I found that I needed to approach different
> people, introduce myself and ask what they were up to. This was fine
> for me, and I met lots of interesting folks, but I think a night
> where newbies can come along with other newbies with the specific
> purpose of a general introduction/induction would be a lot less
> daunting for some who might not otherwise have the confidence to just
> rock up and start chatting.

Aye, when I'm there I try and greet new people and introduce them to
everything. Sadly, I've not been coming to Thursdays regularly lately!

There has been talk of producing an "induction pack" for new people who
arrive, and handing them out; and to get the process started, perhaps
putting up a big poster saying "ARE YOU NEW HERE? IF SO, PLEASE PICK UP
AN INDUCTION PACK AND THEN COME AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF" to make it clear
that that's the correct thing to do!

We can put the induction pack online, as well, so that organised people
can read it BEFORE coming. I tend to find that a lot of new people who
turn up are worried about not having "brought a project"; we need to
dispell that myth. Come, and see what we have, and what projects other
people are working on, and you'll get ideas!

An important part of the induction pack will be explaining
communications mechanisms, too, which as I see it are:

1) The wiki is the place for reference material, such as the induction pack.

2) The public mailing list (this one) is the place for general chat, and
people introducing themselves and asking if it's OK to come along on
Thursday.

3) The members list is the place for emailing out access codes and other
stuff we don't want in public archives, and coordinating the
drug-running fundraising project.

4) Twitter/facebook group is for getting pictures of events and
announcements of upcoming stuff, but that generally goes to the public
list as well.

ABS

- --
Alaric Snell-Pym