[hackspacebristol] To all the time laps photographers out there!!!

matthew venn matt at mattvenn.net
Sun Dec 1 14:32:54 UTC 2013

I've done some, and Barney and John have lots more experience than me.
I typically use a webcam and a python script running on a raspberry pi. Or
I use my canon camera with the chdk firmware that can run timelapse scripts.

We did this with a stepper motor and stepper drive, raspi and an hd webcam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKaAf9moK4

I did this with a £5 webcam and a raspberry pi:
http://www.mattvenn.net/2013/09/14/983/

I use fswebcam on the pi, and an example python script is here:
https://github.com/mattvenn/raspi-workshop/blob/master/moving_timelapse/moving_timelapse.py

Doing a motorised dolly is pretty straightforward for a simple/cheap
version. A motor, some string and a skateboard is all that's required on
the hardware front.

Instructables have loads of howtos:
https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=instructables+timelapse

Hope that helps,
Matt

On 30 November 2013 23:21, Lukasz <lucas.sznajder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Hackers,
>
> Is there anybody out there doing time-laps photography? Is anyone
> developing something like a motorised dolly, timer hardware, smart phone
> apps? Has anyone seen some cool examples or has any experience with it, any
> cool time laps videos to share? I am trying to develop something myself but
> have very little experience, never used any fancy hardware and would like
> to find more people out there with a similar interest.
>
> Lucas

Matthew Venn
mattvenn.net