[hackspacebristol] Tools for algorithmic .stl file generation ?

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 21:26:10 UTC 2013

I'd have a serious look at both OpenSCAD and simply generating the .stl
file in the programming language of your choice.

OpenSCAD is great if you can easily express your object:

   - extrusions of arbitrary shapes captured from a scanner
   - distorted standard shapes such as circles and squares
   - as the "sum" or "difference" of other objects

and there are many libraries around (of varying quality), e.g. to draw
glyphs etc

OTOH, if you are starting with a mathematical function, then a conventional
language may be best. There are standalone viewers for stl files, so you
can check what you've created.