[hackspacebristol] Tools for algorithmic .stl file generation ?

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 18:56:25 UTC 2013

On 22 December 2013 17:36, Richard Sewell <richard at jarkman.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/12/2013 20:55, Doug Smith wrote:
>
>> If you are after a thin object you can just print shells.
>>

> How does that work ? I've got myself a single-sided STL in the shape of my
> surface, but slic3r makes basically empty gcode for it, which I fear means
> I need to make a closed object not just a surface.
>
> Unless there's a Cunning Trick that I'm missing...

Playing around in inkscape with an arbitrary 2D shape, the operation is
called inset/outset.

Playing around in OpenSCAD, for *some* shapes it may be sufficient to

   - create a solid shape with the correct external surface
   - multiply the dimensions by the relevant amount to create a slightly
   smaller copy
   - use the difference operator on the two shapes to leave a shell

Choosing an appropriate origin (if that's even possible) is obviously
necessary.