[hackspacebristol] Another woodturning lathe available

David Henshall david_henshall at lineone.net
Sun Feb 17 23:21:27 UTC 2013

Is a wood turning lathe the best use of resources for what the membership want to do?

How about a Micro metal lathe? There is one on ebay for £287.

Here is a ink to a short form to gather feedback.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UCkbF8OfIvRFYLyysZzo8Z2Kkj5TAl1K8dJ09YYER-Q/viewform
If there are enough takers I can set up a crowd funding pitch to gather the funds.

It look as though it would be useful as a jobbing machine. Potentially it would get more use than a wood lathe. Admittedly I could do with centre drilling and parting off a number of items for one. I imagine a number of member would have similar requirements.

Despite being a metal lathe, it doesn't need belts changing for speed and it's small chuck size limits the hazard it would cause in general.
Not much trouble for 'risk assessing'.

Would a wood lathe need an induction? When would members be able to use a wood lathe unsupervised?

If we have bigger pieces of kit in use what exactly does the insurance cover, members, 'employees' and or 'directors' ?
Having experience insurers stating that a dust cloud didn't constitute 'weather' when airlines were grounded, it would be useful to get a bit of clarification on this.

Cheers,

David H