[hackspacebristol] tech college crew space: 2000sq ft for £4000 pa

David Henshall david_henshall at lineone.net
Thu Feb 21 10:43:27 UTC 2013

On 20 Feb 2013, at 10:28, matthew venn wrote:

> it's because the artspace crew have a 100% rates reduction from the council.

Currently this is all speculation.

Bristol City Council have a hole to fill (a budget deficit ) in regard to paying for what they will consider essential services, eg. the Police, Fire Service etc.
There is in effect a freeze on new applications for Council Tax indemnity within Bristol. Artspace LifeSpace already have this in place from their previous work.
The council budget will be set in April. It is guesswork to suggest what the council will decide in the meantime for both new and existing tax indemnity arrangements.

Hopefully with George Feruson as Mayor for Bristol the council will take an enlightened view of supporting voluntary groups etc. in the new financial year.

On another note.
It feels great to see how the topic of arranging a bigger space is moving forward. With a structured arrangement for meetings at the Pervasive Media Studio (the next one is on the 4th March at 7.00pm to discuss the Maker Faire too)
this has been kindly arranged y Tarim and free discussion on the list.

An observation
Just as we have been reminded of the risks of moving, as with the experience of Leeds hackspace and also we are seeing opportunities for cheap space. I would point out that the cheapest may not be the best option. This is not to discount the option, (though it may well still prove to be, following more consideration).

A closing thought
Listening to the radio the topic of quotes and misquotes and their derivation came up.

Alan shepherd said:
It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Steve Buscemi said in Armageddon:
You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

David H

PS:
Glad to see Leeds Hackspace is still with us.