[hackspacebristol] RF question

matthew venn matt at mattvenn.net
Tue Feb 26 16:51:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've got a radio question for you. I'm trying to get a feed from a GEO (
http://www.greenenergyoptions.co.uk/) ensemble energy monitor.
The energy monitors use this chip:
http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/Si1012-A-short.pdf
And on their website they specify 868Mhz:
http://www.greenenergyoptions.co.uk/what-we-do/products/comptable/ (see the
ensemble product)

They don't specify the modulation, but the SI chip supports one of FSK,
GFSK, and OOK.

I've setup an rfm22b radio (http://www.hoperf.com/rf/fsk/RFM22B.htm) and
have tried snooping at 868Mhz using all the above modulation modes.
I'm not picking anything up.

I've verified my radio is working (by pairing it with an identical radio
and sending message) and that the ensemble stuff is working (turn on and
off lamps etc).

I don't know much about radio, so perhaps what I'm trying to do isn't
feasible?
Any ideas why I'm not seeing anything?

Matt

--